cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client License issue

chinyitee
Level 1
Level 1

I have a AnyConnect setup and able to VPN into my office.

i bought a ASA5505-SW-UL that is unlimited user (UL) software license but now the vendor tells me that:

From the ASA you can saw the unlimited license is for inside hosts, instead VPN client's, by default, ASA 5505 included only 2 VPN client's and can supported up to 25 VPN client's, your license look only default 2 VPN client's. If need more VPN client's connect, you have to purchase the additional VPN client's license.

I am just wondering his statement TRUE/FALSE, because i thought ASA5505-SW-UL means unlimited license

ASA License.gif

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome.

AnyConnect Essentials and Premium cannot both be active at the same time. So when you add the license (activation key) for AnyConnect Essentials, it will disable the built-in 2 client Premium license.

As long as you aren't using nay of the premium-only features, your clients shouldn't see any difference when you change the license on your ASA.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ccsipaul01
Level 1
Level 1

Chin

Unlimited is for number of users supported across your ASA, not number of VPN.

All ASAs come with 2 AnyConnect Premium (client/clientless) VPN and would need to purchase additional licenses if needed.

If you just want client based and not clientless, there is the AnyConnect Essentials.

Both licenses cannot co-exist on the same ASA.

Hope this helps!

Paul

dear Paul

may i know what is the difference between client and clientless ?

is AnyConnect Essentials cheaper ?

thanks a lot

Tee

Hi Tee

Client means you download the AnyConnect client and have a full tunnel.

Clientless means that you use a browser for your VPN application and resources are accessed through the browser (webified).

AnyConnect Essentials is much cheaper than Premium.

Paul

His statement Is true, to enable more users for Anyconnet premium, you  need to buy separate license. For more information please refer  following link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e39.html

Attached my latest license info,

My target is very simple: to allow 5 or 10 users to use VPN at the same time, currently i am only limited to 2.

I have no problem with client based and I am not using any web servers.

just wondering as per the quotation, which should I go for ? did they quoted me the appropriate item ?

thanks !

Selamat tengahari.

You can purchase just item #3 in your quote above and get what you describe. The security plus and SSL license are not necessary for the basic client-based VPN into a 5505.

Anyconnect Premium allows you to do a lot of advanced features like Cisco Secure Desktop (check cloients for posture and don't allow connections if they are not compliant, etc.)

One note is that if you want mobile (iOS devices, Android etc.) clients you will also need to add AnyConnect for Mobile license beyond what is quoted above.

thanks ! i have anyconnect for mobile enabled

i believe now my 2 users are using anyconnect premium peers, just wondering do i have to change anything on their machine or firewall after i purchased the anuconnect essentials?

i heard i can only use either premium OR premium, does that mean if i purchase item 3 will then disable my 2 Premium Peers ?

thanks !!

You're welcome.

AnyConnect Essentials and Premium cannot both be active at the same time. So when you add the license (activation key) for AnyConnect Essentials, it will disable the built-in 2 client Premium license.

As long as you aren't using nay of the premium-only features, your clients shouldn't see any difference when you change the license on your ASA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: