cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN connection lost.....

toddyboman
Level 1
Level 1

So I have lost my VPN connection......Not sure why really but I have.

My main office has asa 5510.

My 3 remote offices have asa 5505. 

First thing I check on my 5510 was:

Result of the command: "show isakmp sa"

Active SA: 3
    Rekey SA: 0 (A tunnel will report 1 Active and 1 Rekey SA during rekey)
Total IKE SA: 3

1   IKE Peer: yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
    Type    : user            Role    : responder
    Rekey   : no              State   : MM_WAIT_MSG3
2   IKE Peer: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

3   IKE Peer: zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz

And my 5505 show the same response.....

So my first question is why is the type: user????  Prior this was l2l.  But I can't seem to see where setting has been changed.....

Any help would be great!  Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will be L2L once the VPN gets succesfully established. At the moment it's still waiting for MSG3 so it's not completed yet. There are 6 messages within phase 1.

Ok.....

The VPN was working fine.  Then my main office with the 5510 lost power due to a storm when this happened all the vpn connections where obviously dropped.  Once the main office restored power again all the computers in house to work and establish connections to the server and internet but no vpn connections worked.....

I ended up recoding the 5510 to make the vpn connections work......I didn't change anything just deleted the code line then added it back in.

So my question now is why would this have happend just because of a simple power loss???

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm, good question.

I guess with any electrical glitch, this problem might happen. The quickest way is to save the config and reload the ASA, and normally that resolves the issue. Or, you can also try to clear all the tunnels using "clear cry ipsec sa" and "clear cry isa sa" to clear up any existing tunnels that might have been still not removed.