Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN License Doubt



I have a 2800 series router which is currently functioning as an internet router. I want to extend it functionalities as a VPN device (both Site-To-Site & SSL VPN's) as well. Do i just have to buy a security license from Cisco and it will support "N" number of VPN coonections & type  (Site-To-Site & SSL VPN) ?

Please advice.


2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to purchase security license that would enable the IPSec VPN, however, for SSL VPN you would need to purchase the SSL VPN license in addition, and the license is non transferable to other product/serial#.

Since the 2800 series router is going EOL, here is the EOL notification:

FAQ for EOL of ISR-G1 router:

I would suggest that you plan to migrate to the 2900 and purchase the security and SSL VPN license under this new product (ISR-G2)

Karsten Iwen
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

In addition to Jennifers hint I want to add another thing to consider:

For the Router there is no AnyConnect Essentials License. If you have many users, it could be worth to add an ASA just for VPN or as a replacement for the router. But that will only work if you don't need clientless VPNs.

Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers