cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN not working with BellSouth's DSL

sshaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Previous i installed the VPN client for my Windows 98 SE. At that time i was using dial-up (VPN worked just fine). Now i am using a Alcatel Speed Touch Home Modem, which is connected to my PC thru a LAN card, and using BellSouth's DSL connection.

When i connect using DSL, i can browse on the net. Next i clicked on the VPN client, and it gave the following error message:

A bad MTU setting has been changed in your registry. In order for these changes to take effect the system must reboot

So I rebooted, and now once i connect via DSL, and click on the VPN Client, I can connect, BUT no longer be able to browse on the net, plus CANNOT use PCANYWHERE, the system looks for the specified IP but times-out. Once i disconnect from the VPN client, i can browse the net again.

P.S I have uninstalled the VPN client, and installed agin, no change

2 Replies 2

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

--- Moderator Edit: Posted URL Expired ---

Buried in this doc is a discussion of automating MTU

settings. It sounds like the MTU on DSL is different

than what your concentrator is looking for.

mdahl
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on what version of the VPN client you are using, there is an incompatibility with the Enternet PPPoE connector Bell South uses for DSL connections. I have had users that experienced the same problem you are and other that just do not get very reliable performance. I believe the 3.0.1 client release fixes this.