cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN on Cisco 831 Routers

owen.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Can anyone help me? I have to set up a VPN for a 4-site company. ADSL (Ethernet presentation) has been installed and is testing fine for each site's local web access, etc.

Are there any examples of configs for a network that has 831 Routers running the VPN between the sites, providing tunnelling, encryption, firewalling, and still allowing web access from each site? Any help, pointers, etc, will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

4 Replies 4

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

When configuring router-to-router IPSec, you need to define exactly what traffic will be encrypted and tunneled across. This is defined using access lists that are then linked to the crypto maps. Traffic that matches that access list is tunneled across to the remote end while the rest of the traffic that is routed to the interface (but desen't match the access list) is passed through unencrypted.

The IPSec support page is an excellent reference for configuration examples. You can reach the same by cisco.com > technical support > technology support > security and vpn > ipsec.

Hi and many thanks for this info - I'm very grateful.

I will be reading through it before attempting to build the tunnel beginning of next week.

Thank again,

Owen

Owen,

Wow. I'm going to be doing the exact same thing as you. I'll be digging though http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:IPSec too, but if there is a specific example/scenario in there that works best, I'd appreciate feedback on what one it was. In my situation I'll be using IPSec, 3DES and pre-shared keys.

If I find a best one, I'll let you know too.

Skip

Hi Skip.

Good to hear from you.

No problem - I'll let you know how I get on. Work starts properly next week so I'll let you know how I get on (but don't hold your breath waiting!)

Owen