Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Packet Trace interfaces UNKNOWN

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have setup an ikev2 ipsec VPN to a 3rd party and currently not routing any traffic over it yet. For testing I ran a packet trace to ensure the VPN comes up which is does. However I can the the Input and Output interfaces showing as UNKNOWN. 

I have not seen that before and wondering why that is. I plan to reroute traffic over it as part of an out of hours change but just curious why it would show the interfaces as UNKNOWN

image.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It does seem odd that it has not identified either interface. When you run packet-tracer over a VPN you need to run it twice, the first would initate and hopefully bring up the tunnel and the second test would hopefully provide the desire result. If you run it again and see what happens, if you still don't see the desired result please run the command from the CLI and provide the full output for review.

Also please upload the configuration for review.

HTH

View solution in original post

Just tested, command works in CLI, only in ASDM seems to show UNKNOWN for the input and out interface, I have tried the same on a different ASA using the same ASDM server and do get the input output interfaces correctly, so only on this firewall in don't.

Thanks for the advice, its not a major I can just test it on CLI

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

It does seem odd that it has not identified either interface. When you run packet-tracer over a VPN you need to run it twice, the first would initate and hopefully bring up the tunnel and the second test would hopefully provide the desire result. If you run it again and see what happens, if you still don't see the desired result please run the command from the CLI and provide the full output for review.

Also please upload the configuration for review.

HTH

Just tested, command works in CLI, only in ASDM seems to show UNKNOWN for the input and out interface, I have tried the same on a different ASA using the same ASDM server and do get the input output interfaces correctly, so only on this firewall in don't.

Thanks for the advice, its not a major I can just test it on CLI