Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN : Reason 442 - on Virtual Machine

sam141425
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 (64 bits) installed. And I learned that Cisco VPN client is not supported for this operating system. So, I set up a virtual machine using VMPlayer (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/) and installed Windows XP Professional (32 bits). I installed Cisco VPN Client, Release 5.0.06.0110 with success.

When I tried to login into a network I got an error "Reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter". I searched about it and found this on Cisco site (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client500_501/release/notes/51client.html#wp1584552) but I'm using Windows XP Professional and could not find the way to apply the solution provided (the solution is for Windows Vista).

I understand the problem is related to IP adresses but not getting a clue how to resolve it.

Please help me out over this.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

sam141425
Level 1
Level 1

..I didn't know that it's so complex issue that no one responded. I believed Cisco community would be the best place to get the help.

Please respond.

Cisco has released a 64-bit IPSec VPN client that is currently in 'beta' status. I believe this became available on or around Feb 18th. If you have a current support contract and a CCO you can download this client on the support site. It's available under the 5.x All Releases folder in the '5.BETA' directory. It's version 5.0.7. Remember, it *is* in beta status so results may vary.

Check this out:

The Cisco VPN Client for Windows Vista and Windows 7 does NOT support the following:

* System upgraded from Windows XP to Vista or Windows 7 (clean OS installation required).
* Start Before Logon
* Integrated Firewall - See workaround below.
* InstallShield
* AutoUpdate
* Translated Online Help - Provided only in English

The 442 error in your VM can be caused by many thingss, which is likely why you haven't received a quick response. Try the 64-bit client on the native host OS and see if you have better luck.

James

heisman
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully you have this issues resolved by now, but I'll respond in case anyone else runs

into this.  I had been getting the same error message while running the Cisco VPN client

versoin 5.0.07.0290 on Windows 7.  I found that by disabling (ICS) Internet Connection Sharing

it fixed the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: