cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Recommendation

benkl1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am a total newcomer to this so any advice is much appreciated. I have a main office with 18 users. These users are connected to a Catalyst 2900 XL switch and use it to connect to our server to access file shares and Exchange. We have two remote sites, one with 3 users and the other with 2. We also have 3 home users that connect. I want all remote usrs to be able to conncect over VPN to the server in the main office. I have purchased a 501 to firewall the main office and am wondering if it will be enough horsepower to also handle the VPN connections. I have the 50U and 3DES bundle. Is the 501 enough or do I need to upgrade and maybe place the 501 at one of the remote sites? Also, how do I go about setting up software-VPN connections? Thank you for the help.

2 Replies 2

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

You will be all set. With recent PIX OS (6.2+), a 501 can support 10 concurrent tunnels. You will use 2 for each of the remote sites, it sounds like - this will leave 8 possible tunnels for end users to use.

I would be shocked if 8 tunnels were not enough for your users - I have a lot more users than you, and 6 or 7 is about the most concurrent connections I have seen here.

Actually, I believe that the increase to 10 tunnels on the PIX501 was in the 6.3.3 release:

Increased Number of IPSec VPN Peers Supported on the PIX 501 Security Appliance

PIX Firewall Version 6.3 increases number of site-to-site and remote access VPN peers supported on the PIX 501 from 5 to 10, enabling greater VPN scalability in small office, home office (SOHO) environments.

Jayson

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: