Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Site to Site

Melvinb1981
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

To make use of a Site to Site connection between HQ and a Branch office am i correct in saying if i use ospf as the routing protocol to advertise routes between the two i need to use GRE over IPSEC as it supports Multicast. If i just use IPSEC it will not advertise routes between the routers ?

Regards

Melvin

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Yes, use a route based VPN (VTI or GRE/IPSec), assuming it just between 2 sites (HQ and Branch) then use a FlexVPN sVTI (Static Virtual Tunnel Interface) and redistribute the routes via a dynamic routing protocol. Example here.

If it's between HQ and multiple Branch sites then you a Dynamic VTI on the HQ router with a sVTI on the branch sites. Example here.

HTH

Thanks for the reply. I would not be able to use vti unless both routers are Cisco correct?

Regards

A VTI is a route based VPN, the majority of other vendors support route based VPNs. So you should be fine to establish a tunnel between a cisco router and another vendor.

HTH
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: