Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN with 2 routers on the network

Ryan Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I have been having trying to figure this issue out for months. I current have a RV018 wired router (routerA) connect to my modem. I have the house wired with Ethernet, so the wired router is used to give internet to those locations (family room, bedrooms, etc..) .  I have a second router RV110W (routerB) connect to the wired router in the family room that is used for wireless. Right now I have the Ethernet cord plugged into the WAN port of routerB. Everything is connect to routerB, network drive, tablets, computers, server, stuff like that. I have PPTP setup on both routers. I am able to PPTP into routerA and that's it. Since it does not see routerB, I am unable to access my network drive from a remote location. What I want to do is PPTP into routerB directly from a remote location but I keep getting errors. I have ports 1723 and 47 open on routerA and routerB. I opened up an additional port 5008 on routerA and routerB but I am still getting errors.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is confusing. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if it will be in wifi AP/Bridge all the device will be doing is "convert" packets from wifi to packets on the ethernet and vice versa. If you will then set up your remote access on routerA you will have access to all the wired devices behind routerA and also wired devices behind routerB and wifi devices. There will be no need to setup remote access on routerB.

Current Set-up

Current

Future set-up

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michal Dulovic
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure if i understand you correctly but you have routerB connected in WAN ports so it acts as client for routerA. As routerB is probably doing NAT and SPI firewall you will not be able to access anything behinf routerB from routerA LAN or from internet

But if you plug in the cable leading from LAN port on router A to LAN port on RouterB (plus you have to also disable DHCP service on routerB) you will have all computers in one IP range and broadcast domain (no intermediate NAT on routerB) so you should be able to access all devices. RouterB will effectively works as wifi AP/bridge. If you will setup same WiFi SSID and encryption on both routers you should also get roaming for WiFi networks.

Every remote access than have to be set up only on RouterA.

Thanks for the response and the time getting back to me. I have stuff connected to routerB (internet tv) via Ethernet, since doing what you says turns it in the an wifi AP/Bridge, would I still be able to connect devices via Ethernet to the other ports on routerB?

Thanks again!!!

Yes, if it will be in wifi AP/Bridge all the device will be doing is "convert" packets from wifi to packets on the ethernet and vice versa. If you will then set up your remote access on routerA you will have access to all the wired devices behind routerA and also wired devices behind routerB and wifi devices. There will be no need to setup remote access on routerB.

Current Set-up

Current

Future set-up

Ryan Brown
Level 1
Level 1

That worked!! Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into helping me!