cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN3030 High Cpu Load, at low throughput

osoerensen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN3030 set up strictly for remote access users only. (using preshared keys & running 3DES-MD5).

Problem is, that the vpn3030 hits 100% cpu load, at only ~ 6Mb thrughput ~150 sessions.

Is it possible to get detailed information on the CPU usage from the VPN3030?? - I would really like to know what's causing this problem. The only "monitoring" related to cpu usage i have knowledge of, is the "Awerage CPU utilization".... which is basically next to useless, regarding troubleshooting.

Regards /Ole

5 Replies 5

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

It seems to be a data compression issues. Data compression increases the memory requirement and CPU utilization for each user session and consequently decreases the overall throughput of the VPN Concentrator. For this reason, Cisco recommends that you enable data compression only if every member of the group is a remote user that connects with a modem. If any member of the group connects through broadband, do not enable data compression for the group. Instead, divide the group into two groups, one for modem users and the other for broadband users. Enable data compression only for the group of modem users.

The problem is now solved. - For some obscure reason, the SEP module was no longer active for my basegroup.. it was simply just "unchecked" in the selection menu! - I have no idea how this happened... im 100% sure I didn't uncheck the SEP module. The only changes made to the VPN3030 the last couple of months is firmware upgrades... no users added & removed, no changes etc...

Makes me wonder, if this could really be related to the final firmware upgrade we did prior to the incident... i'll probably never find out.

But to sum it all up... I enabled the SEP module in base group, and cpu load went from 100% to around 5-10% right away.

How do I disable data compression? I want to make sure it's not enabled. I'm getting very little throughput on remote VPN users may be 1.5 on a 3060 concentrator with only 5 users.

david contreras
Level 1
Level 1

i have a similar problem high CPU low throughput and low memory about 130 sessions.  Usually the CPU is at 1 bar on the utilization.  Not sure if its causing problems I will test it.

We have 2 3030 concentrators the other one has about the same number of sessions and the CPU is 1 bar to no bars of CPU utilization.  Where is this SEP setting?  I could not find one?

Any ideas?

Expand Configuration then User management then go to Groups and then open the group you are working with. Now go to the General tab and at the bottom you will see SEP card Assignment. Make you you only check on the slot that has a SEP card in it. By the way you may be able to buy more sep cards to increass the performance of the concentrator. just be careful there are two type of card and you cannot mix them.

Good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: