Views
Helpful
Replies

WebVPN via "Cisco VPN Client"

tinokorth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

our customer needs to dial into a site that is secured by an Cisco WebVPN Gateway. We don't know which hardware the remote site uses.

We've got the possibility to log into the remote network via web browser (java plugin) or via AnyConnect client.

Because we've got the task to create a scheduled task for sync of documents we need an automated remote login.

So I've got two questions:

- Does the normal "Cisco VPN Client" support "WebVPN"? If yes, how do I need to configure the client? I've tried to connect to the remote site but it doesn't work.

- Does there exist another Client which can be used to connect via WebVPN?

- Does there exist a Cisco Router which could connect to the remote network to realise a "permanent line"?

We've worked with ZyXEL solutions until now - so we don't have experience with Cisco. The remote network admin is not very cooperative, so I want to ask the community.

Thanks for your answers,

Tino

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is the answers to your questions:

- Does the normal "Cisco VPN Client" support "WebVPN"? If yes, how do  I need to configure the client? I've tried to connect to the remote  site but it doesn't work.

A: No, Cisco VPN Client only supports IPSec VPN, while WebVPN is an SSL VPN. As advised by the remote admin, you would need to use the AnyConnect or using the browser to download the AnyConnect software for full tunnel SSL connection.

- Does there exist another Client which can be used to connect via WebVPN?

A: No, not sure if this is SSL Full tunnel, or SSL Clientless. WebVPN tends to suggest it's SSL Clientless. If that is the case, then you can only connect using the browser.

- Does there exist a Cisco Router which could connect to the remote network to realise a "permanent line"?

A: No, not with SSL VPN as the protocol. If you use IPSec VPN, then you can configure site-to-site VPN between your cisco router and the remote VPN termination device.

Hope that clears up a little for you.