cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 8 Cisco VPN Client Issue

brianmosher
Level 1
Level 1

I connect to several of my customers with the Cisco VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0290 and all has been working fine. In the last week, virtually every Windows 8 machine has stopped working. The client connects fine, shows it's connected, but if I go to Status -> Statistics it just shows 0 in the Bytes Received and Sent. The Bypassed and Discarded increases, but I am unable to reach any system. Does anyone know what causes this or how to resolve it? This is a HUGE problem for me as all of the work we do for our customers is via their VPNs. Every non-Windows 8 PC still works fine. And these Windows 8 PCs have been working fine until just the last week. Browsing through, I've seen posts with this same issue, but none related to Windows 8 recently. They are all Windows 7, and my Windows 7 machines are working flawlessly.

Someone help!

Thanks,

Brian

15 Replies 15

npokhriy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian,

IPSEC client on Windows 8 machine is not supported.

Cisco VPN Client 5.0.07 supports the following Microsoft OSs:

Windows 7 on x64 (64-bit)

Windows 7 on x86 (32-bit) only

Windows Vista on both x86 (32-bit) and x64

Windows XP on x86

VPN Client does not support the Tablet PC 2004/2005; and Windows 2000, NT, 98, and ME.

VPN Client supports smart card authentication on Windows 7, Vista, and  XP. However, VPN Client does not support the ST Microelectronics smart  card Model ST23YL80, and smart cards from the same family.

VPN Client supports up to one Ethernet adapter and one PPP adapter. It  does not support the establishment of a VPN connection over a tethered  link.

VPN Client 5.0.x is incompatible with the combination of Cisco Unified  Video Advantage 2.1.2 and McAfee HIPS Patch 4 Build 688. To avoid system  failures, uninstall either of these two applications, upgrade McAfee to  the latest version, or use VPN Client 4.6.x.

To install the VPN Client, you need

Pentium®-class processor or greater

Microsoft TCP/IP installed. (Confirm via Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Protocols or Configuration.)

50 MB hard disk space.

128 MB RAM
(256 MB recommended)

Administrator privileges

The VPN Client supports the following Cisco VPN devices:

Cisco Series 5500 Adaptive Security Appliance, Version 7.0 or later.

Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrator, Version 3.0 or later.

Cisco PIX Firewall, Version 6.2.2(122) or Version 6.3(1).

Cisco IOS Routers, Version 12.2(8)T or later.

you can get more information from following link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client5007/release/notes/vpnclient5007.html#wp63537

Regards,

Naresh

Hi Naresh,

Thats a great piece of information.

To add further what naresh said, IPsec VPN clients are not supported with windows 8. They are already end of life so there would be no further attempt would e made to make it work with windows 8.

When we say not supported it doesn't mean it will not work. It might work but it is something which is not compatible with windows 8. I would suggest either use a third party (non-cisco) vpn client or upgrade to anyconnect.

Interesting. That could be a giant problem for me. I do have some customers that use AnyConnect as well. I'm assuming I'm not able to connect to these customers where I use the Cisco VPN Client with the AnyConnect client instead. I'm guessing it's a totally different piece of hardware on their side?

That's interesting that it's been working fine to this point. Is there a client version that does support Windows 8? And where would I download it from?

Hi Brian,

As Jeet has mentioned, not supported does not means it will not work but it is not supported. You can use l2tp over ipsec or anyconnect on Windows 8 machines.

You can download anyconnect software from Cisco website. The configuration for anyconnect is totally different.

You can go through following link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00808efbd2.shtml

Regards,

Naresh.

Naresh,

I understand. My question is, am I able to use the AnyConnect software to connect to these customers that have me using the regular Cisco VPN Client currently? I obviously have no control over the VPN hardware my customers use. I just have to be able to connect to it. I was under the impression the AnyConnect client is used with a completely different piece of VPN hardware than the Cisco VPN Client, but perhaps I am mistaken in that.

Brian,

We can use same device for both ipsec vpn client and anyconnect as well. I did not understand your question properly. Please elaborate it once again so that I can answer it properly.

No problem, Naresh. Keeping in mind I am connecting to customer systems here, so I cannot make any changes on the hardware side of the VPN. They give me a PCF to connect to their VPN with that I have been using in the Cisco VPN Client. If I open up the AnyConnect client, I know it doesn't take the PCF files, but am i able to configure that AnyConnect Client to connect to those VPNs that I was using the Cisco VPN Client to connect to without making any configuation changes on the VPN hardware side?

Hi Brian,

For anyconnect client, we need to make changes on VPN device as well. We can't connect it in this way.

AnyConnect would be great if you could use it to connect to a router or an old VPN3000 instead of an ASA. As Brian said there is still the requirment to connect to platforms that don't support the Anyconnect Client. I don't see those going away anytime soon so it would be great if Cisco could either continue support for the VPN client or add the ability to Anyconnect to create IPSec connections to other legacy Cisco devices and/or routers.

**Mark all helpful posts and solutions**

Brian,

I had the same problem. Did the registry fix and still got the error. What I finally had to do was goto advanced startup options in Windows 8 and disable secure sign drivers. This fixed my issue right up.

Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1. Check below guide,

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/12/solved-windows-8-and-windows-81-cisco.html

Speersy82
Level 1
Level 1

For windows 8 use Cisco Client v5.0.07, before installation make sure you disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup options.

should be able to connect fine after, works for us no problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: