cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Decryption without Authentication

Hi,

I read from the WSA design guide, that decryption with authentication should be avoided.

Link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/web-security-appliance/118885-technote-wsa-00.html

"Often times, Decryption policies use identities with authentication. While this is not wrong and is sometimes needed, the use of an identity with authentication referenced in the Decryption policy means that all transactions that match the Decryption policy are decrypted in order for authentication to take place. The decryption action might be dropped or passed through, but since there is an identity with authentication, the decryption takes place in order to later drop or pass through the traffic. This is expensive and should be avoided."

So, if we're avoiding authentication on the decryption policies, I can just create a new identity without authentication, then match it on the decryption policy. But, what happens if the traffic is decrypted? In my understanding, it will be forwarded to access policies for evaluation, and performs configured action once a match is found.

From that point, how will the WSA do accounting on the traffic if authentication is not in place initially? Will it use surrogate? Or will it require reauthentication on the client?

Thanks a lot.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards
This widget could not be displayed.