cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

firepower 1010 asa limited use smart account without a license

RonRector66526
Level 1
Level 1

I have figured out there is no way to get a token that works for my new firepower 1010 asa firewall with a limited use smart account. Is my firewall protecting me without a license or is it just a new $500 anchor?

Note: I do not have oracle so I do not have the web start java. Asdm is installed and is working,  I have a account, user name.  Naturally I have tried several combinations, see attachment. Do I need to re-image the appliance for FTD to get a token that works?

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A Firepower 1010 running ASA code does not generally need a token unless you want to also use if for remote access VPN (AnyConnect). That because in ASA mode it does not offer the possibility of IPS, URL Filtering or AMP. Only when it is running FTD code are those features (which do require a smart account token and registration) available. You would also need licenses for those features if you move to FTD.

So you have a perfectly functioning classic stateful firewall without any of the more advanced NGFW features.

MikelG
Level 1
Level 1

HELP!!!! I have 2 ASA 1010 firepower. I have created a smart account. I did the "get license" and make a token. I registered both units ( i think) They show up as registered when I log into them using the ASDM.  I want the 2 units to use site to site VPN.  I had 2 5505 and they were working until one unit just lost power and wont turn on.  I have my static outside IPs for both location's but no luck. I read I needed to get L-FPR100-ASA=   and.  L-FPR1K-ENC-K9=.   I was told both were $0.00 but needed to be added to the smart license.  Where do I get them????? 

Thanks in advance ......

When you create a token in the smart account to register the device be sure to check the box to "Allow export-controlled functionality on the products registered with this token".

If that is done, device license registration should automatically enable the encryption feature.

If you had previously registered without having done that, de-register and then re-register using a new token.

net_wonder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marvin! Is it possible to re-image a new FPR1010 from FTD to ASA without creating and connecting to Smart Account? And with ASA image to continue using it as a simple firewall? 

@Marvin Rhoads 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: