Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Moving logs from S160 to S170

Before swapping out our S160 with a new S170, I used ftp to download all the log folders.  Can I now upload those log folders to the replacement S170?  If I can, do I need to upload all the folders or just certain folders that contain browsing date etc.?  If the answer is only certain folders, which ones?

Thanks,

Mark

Everyone's tags (6)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beginner

Re: Moving logs from S160 to S170

It is not possible to move log files over. Additionally the reporting on an S series cannot be moved over. However you can move the log subscriptions and the settings over.

It is possible to move configurations from a S160 to S170 however it requires many modifications to make it work. The main reason is how the interfaces between the two are completely different plus a few items.

The following instructions may or may not work depending on you configuration. From a support stand point moving configurations is not supported and you may have to configure your new box from scratch. However, if you follow the instructions below to the T, I have had tons of success from these steps. This is an XML file and contains elements such as , you will be copying entire elements across. IF you see anything with *****, stop right away, you masked your passwords and the configuration port will not work. You will need to download a config with out passwords masked.

1. Download a configuration file from both your S160 and S170. PASSWORDS CANNOT BE MASKED!
  2. Verify at the top of the configs that the versions match. If they do not, the following will not work.
  3. You will need to copy each element below from the S160 to the S170.  Needs to be everything in between and it needs to be pasted over the corresponding element. 
    • <----- Only if you had configured snmp on your s160
    •   <------- This is the largest element just as a forewarning
  4. Save the new file and import it using the tool under System Administration -> Configuration File. Any errors will be indicated here. IT will tell you exactly where in the file the error occured. Make sure the values are the same between the two files.
  5. Review the configuration through the box. The items above will change the boxes ip to match the S160. Make sure the box will be in a network location that is accessible.
  6. Once you are comfortable you will need to click the button commit.

Christian Rahl

Customer Support Engineer

Cisco Web Content Security Appliance

Cisco Technical Assistance Center RTP

1 REPLY 1
Beginner

Re: Moving logs from S160 to S170

It is not possible to move log files over. Additionally the reporting on an S series cannot be moved over. However you can move the log subscriptions and the settings over.

It is possible to move configurations from a S160 to S170 however it requires many modifications to make it work. The main reason is how the interfaces between the two are completely different plus a few items.

The following instructions may or may not work depending on you configuration. From a support stand point moving configurations is not supported and you may have to configure your new box from scratch. However, if you follow the instructions below to the T, I have had tons of success from these steps. This is an XML file and contains elements such as , you will be copying entire elements across. IF you see anything with *****, stop right away, you masked your passwords and the configuration port will not work. You will need to download a config with out passwords masked.

1. Download a configuration file from both your S160 and S170. PASSWORDS CANNOT BE MASKED!
  2. Verify at the top of the configs that the versions match. If they do not, the following will not work.
  3. You will need to copy each element below from the S160 to the S170.  Needs to be everything in between and it needs to be pasted over the corresponding element. 
    • <----- Only if you had configured snmp on your s160
    •   <------- This is the largest element just as a forewarning
  4. Save the new file and import it using the tool under System Administration -> Configuration File. Any errors will be indicated here. IT will tell you exactly where in the file the error occured. Make sure the values are the same between the two files.
  5. Review the configuration through the box. The items above will change the boxes ip to match the S160. Make sure the box will be in a network location that is accessible.
  6. Once you are comfortable you will need to click the button commit.

Christian Rahl

Customer Support Engineer

Cisco Web Content Security Appliance

Cisco Technical Assistance Center RTP