cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove file sharing function from Whatsapp. Cisco Umbrella

montesanodavid
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to only remove the file exchange part of Whatsapp, and leave the messaging part in Cisco Umbrella?

I can only find a way to remove access to Whatsapp, but not just remove the file sharing function.

I have installed Umbrella SIG (DNS+ Proxy)

Thanks in advance! 

5 Replies 5

jbendix
Level 1
Level 1

You can also try this. It is common setting in WhatsApp...

1. On Android, tap the action overflow button in the upper right corner and select Settings.
  2. On iOS, tap the Settings tab in the lower right corner.
  3. Select Account.
  4. Tap the check mark to the right of Share my account info.
  5. To disable the feature, tap Don't Share.

Hello Jbendix,

Thanks for your reply.

But the idea is to block it for all users via the Cisco Umbrella, Because if I have to do that on every computer in my company it can be crazy.

Thnks anyway!

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it's not possible. You would have to decrypt the encrypted session to inspect the content and WhatsApp specifically prevents that (via certificate pinning) as it would compromise the end-to-end security of the communications.

Hello Marvin, thanks for your reply.

I was able to block just Uploads from WhatsApp. There is a APP Setting that allow you to do it. See on the screenshot that I attached.

Anyway I couldn't find the way to block the Downloads.

Regards.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Interesting - they must have separate servers they use for uploads. That's the only way I can imagine it would be able to do that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: