cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex screen sharing and ultra wide monitors

jlunser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - a user recently came to me with the following (we're on Webex locked down version 33.6.7.8): 

Is there a way to create cropped box for screen sharing? Just upgraded my home office monitor to a 49 inch ultra wide screen and I can share individual apps which causes problems as I need to flip between apps or I can share the entire screen which shows up way to big and everything is way to small for attendees. 

Any recommendations, or will this be built into a future Webex version? All I've been able to find on the Cisco Collab Help site  so far is this: https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX57619/What-is-the-Recommended-Screen-Resolution-for-Optimal-Viewing-in-a-Webex-Meeting

23 Replies 23

reviewires
Level 1
Level 1
My monitor is 5120 x 1440. Adopting the aspect ratio of the screen when sharing content is just bad requirements engineering. I do not have the same issues with Zoom. click here to check more updates about it .

dpf234
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a 42 inch 4K monitor, and need to turn it down to FullHD to be able to share anything with anyone. It's going on since years and no improvement. Please what is this?

I just read Cisco's KB article about the optimal sharing resolution and they suggest changing it before sharing. Is it supposed to be a joke? No other vendor of similar software requires its users to do such things. Unbelievable.

tom-englert
Level 1
Level 1

Here's a solution until WebEx can support this natively: https://github.com/tom-englert/RegionToShare

Kenneth_Crooke
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen this issue before, also.

rahumali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yup same issue, has anyone got a good workaround for the moment? I have a 34" ultrawide on a MacBook pro. I normally have Google Chrome opened on the right side of the screen and meeting notepad opened on the left half of the screen. I only want to share just the google chrome app, but when I do this with WebEx, the viewer sees whitespace on the left side of the screen. Any help here would be great!

sameermittimani
Level 1
Level 1

Have the same issue..

Rod L
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks,  have voted !

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

Submit your ideas and feature requests here:
https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/

Cisco is unlikely to read/respond to all discussions in this community forum.

Thanks good idea.  I've posted it now, please help vote it up!

Allow screen scaling for super | User Community Feedback (aha.io)

Thanks

Please Cisco. Fix this issue. Ultrawide monitors are becoming common. Find a way to effectively share a screen with an ultrawide.

JBerardinelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the Dell U4919DW and it outputs a 5140x1440 resolution.

I have been having the same issue.  The only workaround I have found is to switch the resolution of the monitor to 1920x1080 when I am sharing my screen.  I use the DisplayFusion software to have a different monitor profile saved and assigned to a hot-key to switch the resolution.  Not great, I know, but at least I can switch instantly instead of going through the windows display manager.

Dear Cisco:  If you are reading this, can you add an option for sharing where;  WebEx asks what Application you want to share, asks if you want to lock the resolution of it, that brings up a drop list of common sizes (like 1920x1080), then it resizes the window on your screen and locks it at that resolution, and you share only that application/window without all the extra black space around it?

@jlunser, Good Luck! 

Monitor Link: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-49-curved-monitor-u4919dw/apd/210-arnw/monitors-monitor-accessories

DisplayFusion Link: https://www.displayfusion.com/

Re:

Dear Cisco:  If you are reading this, can you add an option for sharing where;  WebEx asks what Application you want to share, asks if you want to lock the resolution of it, that brings up a drop list of common sizes (like 1920x1080), then it resizes the window on your screen and locks it at that resolution, and you share only that application/window without all the extra black space around it?

Yes, this needs to be an option in WebEx when sharing applications!

Thank you!

@cisco: Please fix this asap. It is a huge pain for presentations and all competitors offer this; MS Teams, Zoom, etc .... 

Yes, please fix. This is actually ridiculous. Even if I understand the design behind it, please give at least a possibility to choose what we want.

olivercarl
Level 1
Level 1

I use a large screen as well. While it is obviously not possible to share just a part of it, the problem appears also when I share a window (of small size). The participants complain that it appears really small (too small to read). I don't understand why the overall screen size influences the scaling of the actually shared window... No problems with Teams, Skype for Business.

Cynthia F
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I just got the Dell 49” curved monitor and this is how I work around this issue. On the monitor, I enabled the mode to split the screen so my laptop HDMI input was on one side. I connected the USB-C input from the monitor to my laptop (same laptop) so it uses the other side of the monitor. Webex sees two screens for the purpose of sharing, so I can share just the one side and it looks fine to the audience. The cool part is that Windows sees both inputs together as essentially one seamless screen. So I can move apps from one side to the other or just use the whole monitor. Best of both worlds.

@Cynthia F 
as I read "Dell" in your posting... that reminds me of the "Dell Display Manager" - a utility to manage the space of large Screens.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/qna44541/what-is-dell-display-manager?lang=en

This software helps to auto-resize and auto-arrange application-windows.
In case this software does this trick by creating "fake" / virtual screens, this might work.

But: this software requires a DELL-Screen:

Q. Does Dell Display Manager work on all brands of Monitors?
A. DDM works only with Dell monitors developed from 2013 and beyond, except Dell D-series and Nvidia G-SYNC based models.

Fritz

klengel
Level 1
Level 1

have you find a "workaround"?

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It is not possible to crop window for screen sharing. I have used Webex sharing on 1920x1080 resolution and no one complained so far. 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.