Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use a local calling number

We want to start using Webex to call out to different users but there is a concern that calls from an American area code may not be answered. Is it possible to call out from a Webex meeting using a number with a local area code? An additional "nice to have" would be if we could control the caller id name as well but I realize that I am likely asking too much for that.

Thank you all in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Ramon G.
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi again,

Thanks for sharing in details. Unfortunately you wont be able to receive call-id from Webex based on dialed-participant local area code.

Sounds very convenient based on use case, but that may required more ISP engagement and I hope we can deliver this in future.   

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ramon G.
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi again,

Thanks for sharing in details. Unfortunately you wont be able to receive call-id from Webex based on dialed-participant local area code.

Sounds very convenient based on use case, but that may required more ISP engagement and I hope we can deliver this in future.   

Thank you again for your assistance Ramon, have a great day.

Ramon G.
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Terry, 

I would recommend you to use E.164 format when using Webex Callme audio option

https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX48240/Call-Me-is-not-Working-after-Joining-a-Webex-Meeting

Hope it helps

Thank you for the reply Ramon. I don't think I included enough detain in my initial post. 

I work for the Courts and one of our challenges with audio telephone conferences is that they are difficult to record. We connect our video conference endpoints directly into our mixers which feed into our recording system. My goal is to use Webex to direct dial a person who is appearing in court. I would like to use the VC equipment so that they clearly show up in the recordings. The side benefit is that in rooms where we have sound re-enforcement the room speakers and mics pick up the sound. Over all it just leads to a better experience. 

So what I am looking for is to be able to dial someone's phone directly from Webex and have a local area code show up. 

Does this all make sense or am I chasing the wrong solution?

Hi Terry, 

"So what I am looking for is to be able to dial someone's phone directly from Webex and have a local area code show up. 

You mean to show at participant's phone screen the calling-id (Webex) with local area code? then it may not be possible at the moment.

Why no to use Webex Recording? If you use NBR recording in Webex while the meeting is started, the participant can join your meeting (Court session) via audio Call-in. In that way from Webex you will be able to see the call-in number of the participant (reports).

Sorry, maybe I still dont get the full picture of your requirement  

Thank you again for the reply. 

Our recordings are used in transcription for the court record and all audio needs to be in one recording, so the all of the microphones in a room. We are using a 4 channel recording system that separates the microphones in the courtrooms to make transcription easier. What I have configured is the codec coming into the mixer as one of the channels.

Our concern is that when we use Webex to dial out the area code that shows up is from out of our area, the worry is that people will assume it isn't a legitimate call and just won't answer it. Having them call in doesn't work because the Court may have multiple people queued up to call. The way it works now the clerk will dial a person, when that matter is completed they hang up and dial the next. 

I suspect that I can't do what I want yet but thought I would see if the community had any ideas.