cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB-C cable options

afadeyev1
Level 1
Level 1

Installed a few Room Kits EQ and really liked USB passthrough functionality. The fiberoptic USB-C cable that comes with the codec is 30ft and I need to do a longer run in a few places. I cannot find 3rd party cable that will work (need to support USB 2.0, USB 3.1 Gen 1, 2-lane DP 1.4 -  8.1Gbps). 

5 Replies 5

t.svatek
Level 3
Level 3

The ClickShare HDMI IN to USB-C convertor kit solved it for us: https://www.barco.com/de/support/spare-parts/R9861581

From there you can, for example
- route an HDMI 4K cable + USB cable to the table and connect it to the PC with a USB-C dock.
- run an HDBase-T version 3.0 line to the table. The Kramer EXT3-POE-XR-R and EXT3-POE-XR-T could work well, as they offer direct USB-C on the table including Power Delivery.
- use A/V over IP Extender.

- use Clickshare CX Series

afadeyev1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, Jonathan, I expected this. Unfortunately, some rooms were designed to be pretty instead of useful and I don't have a space to mount the codec under the table. 

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because there isn’t one. Cisco stopped at 9m because, rumor has it, the DP Alt Mode signaling had issues beyond that distance/latency. We are all eagerly awaiting a proper extender but none of the vendors have one yet. In the near term you may have to mount the EQ closer (usually under) the table and then extend display and camera HDMI instead.

Any new updates?  I've been asking Cisco for a solution with no answer.  I'm looking to design conference rooms using the USB-C at the table for physical screen sharing vs an HDMI cable (all new laptops have USB-C, and no HDMI) and possibly using the codec for running meetings from the laptop.  I do this now with my Desk Pro, Room Bar and RK EQ, but ONLY from a direct USB-C cable.   Thanks!!

I'm not sure that you'll find just a CABLE that is long enough to do what you want - you'd need to use some form of active extender device.

If you just want to display content from the table on to the device, then most of the newer endpoints support MiraCast or AirPlay, so you can do this wirelessly!

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.