cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bluetooth "Stereo" Audio Device Missing in WebEx?

ChrisK99927
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am having a strange issue with WebEx - So I'm using bluetooth headphones with Windows 10, and as many of you know, these show up as two devices in Windows; a "Stereo" version and a "Hands Free-AG" version. The former is higher quality stereo sound; the latter being lower quality mono sounds and an older protocol (but allows you to use the microphone). However, in WebEx only the "Hands Free-AG" version appears?? In every other app, I see both the AG and Stereo devices. Both show up in the Windows audio configuration, device manager etc. I don't use the microphone that's built into the bluetooth device, so I don't need to use the "Hands Free-AG" mode. How can I get the "Stereo" device to show back up in the WebEx software? Any advice hints would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Doug.Lynn
Level 1
Level 1

So, users are left with no answer or resolution from CISCO. On the WEBEX app v42.3.5.5 X64, the audio quality coming through my SONY SRS-XB41 sounds like an AM radio vs. the audio quality coming through the same speaker when using TEAMS and/or ZOOM sounds like the attendees are in the same room I am sitting in. The WEBEX app does not give you the option to select the stereo bluetooth speaker. It only gives you "default" bluetooth speaker and the hands-free AG version. I have been on the phone with my company's IT help desk with no resolution. As such, this is NOT a MSFT Windows issue. It is a CISCO issue. CISCO: When are you going to fix your software ?  

nrea
Level 1
Level 1

You might be able to go into Sound > Manage sound devices, and disable the Hands-Free AG Audio Device.

Interesting use case question - I also see the same behavior in the Webex Meeting application, but not the Webex app (which does let you pick the "stereo" output instance). 

It did not use to be this way, and I assume a change was implemented to prevent most users from getting themselves into trouble (as selecting the "stereo" device for output generally causes the "hands free" microphone input device to not work).  But I do not see a way out of it when using the stereo profile is desired, outside of using a separate bluetooth USB dongle perhaps.  Those dongles present one audio device to Windows, and generally automatically switch the bluetooth profile to hands free only when they see the microphone channel being opened.

Thanks for responding! Curious question - what is the difference between the "Webex Meeting application" and the "Webex app"? Is the "Webex app" a Windows 10 app I can get? 

That's a bummer you can't force the Stereo mode. I know there are newer protocols in development that allow higher quality audio and the microphone working at the same time, but who knows when those will work with windows or if they'll work with existing dongles. I have a standalone USB microphone, so I don't have any need to use the one built into the bluetooth headphones. I want to just straight disable the AG device/mode (which you can do in the windows device settings) but then I'd get NO audio in webex (hence me asking the question here...)

@ChrisK99927 

regarding your question about the difference between Webex and Webex-Meetings etc.:

Webex is a whole family of "communication Products" - not just software since there are also conferencing-devices (= Hardware).

Webex(-Meetings) is a Cisco-Product since about 13 years. Its mainly a "schedule a meeting in Outlook and lets meet online" - Solution.

In 2015 Cisco released "Spark". A Solution that covers instant-messaging, audio-calls and video-calls.

Later they renamed it "Webex-Teams". Just recently it was renamed again to just "Webex".

To avoid confusion the "old", traditional Webex is now labelled "Webex-Meetings".

Currently the "new Webex" (formerly Webex-Teams, formerly Cisco Spark) does not yet fully cover the feature-set of the "classic" Webex-Meetings. Because of that it seems pragmatic to install both Clients until the feature-sets are equal.

The Client-Software is available for your Computer or mobile device. (plus a Web-Version at web.webex.com)

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.