cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Host Can't Control some users microphone

daniells
Level 1
Level 1

Under both the WebEx Meetings and Events there are times when a call in user or a smartphone participant doesn't have a toggle button to control their microphone.

Today I had someone get very upset because as a call in user they thought that I was deliberately muting them but on my end I couldn't mute or unmute them at all.

Are there some devices or platforms that don't allow a host to control the microphone?

I'm aware that some times the audio package can fail to connect when people try to join a meeting so you will be able to here them but they can't hear you or vice versa. So is this Cisco way of telling the host that there is a connection issue? Or maybe a permissions issue?

I'm looking for answers and solutions to help provide or guide people when this happens.   

1 Accepted Solution

daniells
Level 1
Level 1

I was told by a WebEx agent during a different training session that when a call in user joins a meeting/event they will have the ability to mute and unmute themselves. However, the host will only be able to unmute them once and then after that they have to "ask for permission." This I found could be plausible because that angry patron situation did follow that pattern. I unmuted her, we spoke, then I muted her and after that I wasn't able to do anything with her microphone.

I also found out that if someone is on normal telephone (not a smartphone) they will have to hit "*6* to unmute themselves.

Since I discovered these tips I have been able to successfully unmute pretty much every call in user by explaining that to them. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

daniells
Level 1
Level 1

I was told by a WebEx agent during a different training session that when a call in user joins a meeting/event they will have the ability to mute and unmute themselves. However, the host will only be able to unmute them once and then after that they have to "ask for permission." This I found could be plausible because that angry patron situation did follow that pattern. I unmuted her, we spoke, then I muted her and after that I wasn't able to do anything with her microphone.

I also found out that if someone is on normal telephone (not a smartphone) they will have to hit "*6* to unmute themselves.

Since I discovered these tips I have been able to successfully unmute pretty much every call in user by explaining that to them. 

kndskelton
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if this will work but, check and see how people are joining your meeting. The screen that pops up to join allows you to select audio options. If they decide to use the phone.. the App will offer a number to dial in as well as a participant ID. This will at least add a name to the phone in.. instead of call-in_user 2. Then they will have the ability to mute and un-mute using their app instead. I had a time with my participants! They see a phone number and feel a need to dial it as well as join with the computer!