cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meetings starting in Webex (teams)

PMartinez_SLCo
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever I join a meeting from Outlook or Meetings it opens Webex (teams) instead of Meetings. How do I stop that from happening? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

Our latest update, 41.5.4.6, changed all meetings to start with the Webex App (rainbox icon).  We aren't able to open meetings in Webex Meetings.  This is the direction Webex is headed and eventually the Webex Meetings (blue/green icon) will be phased out. 

I have opened a ticket with Cisco TAC because of an issue we've found with setting Share permissions.  If the meeting is scheduled with Share Content disabled for attendees, it removes Anyone Can Share as an option in a meeting so it can't be turned on during a meeting.  If Anyone Can Share is available in a meeting but is then disabled by the Host, attendee share permissions can only be enabled with access to share Files or Whiteboards.  This is causing problems and confusion with our staff and I've had to change our default template to enable Anyone Can Share in order to give Hosts the permissions they need to manage sharing permissions in a meeting.  I highly recommend you test this out and post in the Community with your opinion.  I will be posting a separate discussion on this in the community if one has not been started already.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

Goswin Weemaes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@PMartinez_SLCo , Practice Session is still available in Webex Events (New). Check the following article to see how you can start it:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/jml4sb/Hold-a-Practice-Session-in-Webex-Events-New

Response Signature

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Goswin Weemaes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@kratnam , as you are a Cisco employee I would recommend you to open an internal IT case for this issue.

Response Signature

Goswin Weemaes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@PMartinez_SLCo , Practice Session is still available in Webex Events (New). Check the following article to see how you can start it:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/jml4sb/Hold-a-Practice-Session-in-Webex-Events-New

Response Signature

Thanks for the tip. I do have an additional question. We used to be able to start a powerpoint slide show before going into the practice session and have it playing while in the practice session. The following statement makes me wonder if that is still possible. Can this still be done?

* If a production team member is sharing content in the main event when joining a practice session, the shared content migrates into the practice session.

@PMartinez_SLCo , that is currently not (yet) available in Webex Events (New). It's explicitly mentioned in the article I shared above:
"The attendees can't view the shared content while the production team is in the practice session."

Yesterday I tested it with one of my customers and I can confirm no content is shared when panelists go into Practice Session.

Response Signature

Have you updated recently? I just tried it this morning and it seemed to work as before. I shared a power point document, advanced slides automatically every 5 secs. from the view menu, and started practice session. The attendees saw the slide show while I was sharing my screen during the practice session. I am on version 41.5..4.6. I received the update just yesterday.

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

Our latest update, 41.5.4.6, changed all meetings to start with the Webex App (rainbox icon).  We aren't able to open meetings in Webex Meetings.  This is the direction Webex is headed and eventually the Webex Meetings (blue/green icon) will be phased out. 

I have opened a ticket with Cisco TAC because of an issue we've found with setting Share permissions.  If the meeting is scheduled with Share Content disabled for attendees, it removes Anyone Can Share as an option in a meeting so it can't be turned on during a meeting.  If Anyone Can Share is available in a meeting but is then disabled by the Host, attendee share permissions can only be enabled with access to share Files or Whiteboards.  This is causing problems and confusion with our staff and I've had to change our default template to enable Anyone Can Share in order to give Hosts the permissions they need to manage sharing permissions in a meeting.  I highly recommend you test this out and post in the Community with your opinion.  I will be posting a separate discussion on this in the community if one has not been started already.

Response Signature

@Kathy N., We just experienced the change in share permissions in a scheduled meeting and I'm wondering if you posted a separate discussion in the forum. I didn't find one when searching and I'd like to hear from Cisco on this. I appreciate you posting this information!  We're wondering if this is a bug that will be resolved or a permanent change (hoping for the former!). 

I have posted this in the Community.  You can find the post and comment on it at this link:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/webex-meetings-and-webex/change-in-share-content-behavior/td-p/4404728 

Response Signature

WebEx Teams integrate seamlessly with desk phone, and any meeting started with webex teams shows up on desk phone also. Recent update to webex teams made meeting to be opened with webex meeting app and there is no configuration i can find to switch it back to open meeting with webex teams app.

How can i get access to 41.5.4.6? I'm on webex teams 41.5.0

If you open Meetings and click the gear icon near the top you will see a check for updates... option. If your site has the update available you should get a prompt to update meetings.

Actually version of my webex meeting app is 41.5.4.6 and webex app is 41.5.0. I mistook from the thread that 41.5.4.6 is webex app version. Ok, in that case my issue is still open, not able to do desk phone extension with webex meeting app. This used to work fine with webex 41.3.0.x version

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

It depends how the meeting was created. Webex Meetings and Webex (Teams) are still 2 separate platforms. If the meeting was created as a Webex (Teams) meeting (i.e., associated with a Webex Space), it will always try to open with the Webex (Teams) client. If it was created as a Webex Meeting meeting (i.e., personal meeting room or general Webex meeting), it will always try to open in the Webex Meetings client. You can use the Meeting ID from the invite to join manually from either client, however, there are some compatibility issues still between the two platforms. For the best experience, you should use the default client for the meeting type. This of course means you need to have both apps installed.

Note, the new Webex app is the future of Webex. Cisco is slowly working at merging everything in to the new app. I expect at some point, the Webex Meetings client will go away entirely.

Thanks for the reply and I agree with you. The problem I am having is I created an Events (new) meeting and when I started it from Meetings it opened in Webex. I am finding out that Webex is slowly replacing Meetings. I was concerned because the "start Practice session" was not an option so I assumed it was a limitation of Webex starting the event. I now wonder if that is a new behavior with Events (new). If that is the case that's not a good thing because we have several hosts who go into practice sessions throughout there event.

The practice session is supposed to be available in the new Webex Events.  If you're not seeing it, I would recommend you open a Support ticket as I don't believe that is the expected behavior.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.