cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual background feature disappeared on MacOS with 40.9.5.10

t00534
Level 1
Level 1

I previously used virtual background, but after upgrading to 40.9.5.10, that feature has disappeared. 

I've heard that it wasn't available on Macs with slower CPUs, but I using a MacBook Pro with Quad-Core Intel Core i5, running Catalina 10.15.6. This is a fairly high powered system, so I don't understand why the the virtual background features have disappeared. 

Is this a bug? Is there anything that can be done? Virtual background is a very important feature for me!

1 Accepted Solution

I noticed that there was a newer version available. So to upgrade, I deleted the Webex application, and downloaded the new version from the website and re-installed it. (Why can't I just update from within the application? This process also needs to be improved!)

After upgrading to 40.9.6.11, the Virtual Background feature appeared again, and it works. So it appears that the problem was a bug in the Webex client 40.9.5.x

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

t00534
Level 1
Level 1

The document you referenced notes that "Intel Core i5 6000 series dual-core processor or higher" is required. 

I'm using 2018 MacBook Pro with a Quad-Core i5 processor, 8000 series. This easily exceeds the requirements. 

I used the virtual background feature every day until the recent update. The feature suddenly disappeared upon updating the Webex client. So, this seems to be a bug introduced in a recent update. 

I noticed that there was a newer version available. So to upgrade, I deleted the Webex application, and downloaded the new version from the website and re-installed it. (Why can't I just update from within the application? This process also needs to be improved!)

After upgrading to 40.9.6.11, the Virtual Background feature appeared again, and it works. So it appears that the problem was a bug in the Webex client 40.9.5.x

Goswin Weemaes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @t00534 ,

Can you check the details of your Intel Core i5 processor?
According to the following article, you need to have a "Intel Core i5 6000 series dual-core processor or higher":
https://help.webex.com/en-us/80jduab/Use-a-Virtual-Background-in-the-Cisco-Webex-Meetings-Suite#id_138414

Thanks,
Goswin

Response Signature