Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WEBEX app on windows 10 crashes with video

Hello,

Webex on my Windows 10 computers was working without problems since the installation before about 2 months.

Since 3 or 4 days my WEBEX App has the problem, that it crashes in the moment when video is activated. Audio is working but when i confirm the message "The app has encountered a problem and needs to be closed" the Webex meeting is stopped.

I deinstalled the Webex app and tried to join ameeting with only the browser -> no problem, audio and video works. I reinstalled the Webex app and tried again, but same problem, it crashes with video, it works audio only.

Has someone an idea, what i can try to solve this problem?

Thanks and best regards

Joachim

1 Accepted Solution

Try this - 

• Click Start Meeting
  • From within the Meeting Window Click Audio and Video > Camera
  • Click on Advanced Settings and then un-check Hardware acceleration for video.  After completing these steps you should be able to join a Webex meeting, with video, without it crashing.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

AtharvaDeo
Level 1
Level 1

Wonderful!!!!!

I was facing this issue for the past 2 weeks and this post saved my online life. Thank you very much, man!!! Hats off to you !!!

kndskelton
Level 1
Level 1

Well.. I'm still looking for an answer about this issue. More than just trying to use Virtual Background but, when ever my team clicks on it or to either stop or share their camera the desktop app crashes. Now.. what they see before joining a meeting.. the camera / video works with the desktop app. once they join.. they aren't able to send video. Using the browser they are but, sometimes the browser will drop using the computer for audio.

Not everyone has the check box to disable hardware acceleration.

I've had limited success clearing the Webex Cache (In the apps\local folder.. %userprofile%\Appdata\Local\Webex and clear the contents in the Wbxcache folder.) 

Support team.. any progress?

JanBerglund6419
Level 1
Level 1

Now it suddenly works, I do not have the option to turn of hardware acceleration. I updated my Nvidia GPU drivers. Now Webex is working but Windows Hello isn't working anymore

I should give the 20H2 a try.

Thanks for all help.

I am having this exact same issue, except Webex isn't throwing any errors. Browser app works fine. I have uninstalled (using the dedicated Webex removal tool) and reinstalled the desktop client countless times. I've also tried updating my display and webcam drivers. I even rolled back the display driver thinking a recent update might have been the issue. Still no luck. I can join a meeting with the camera off, but as soon as I turn it on, Webex crashes.

I have an open support ticket and they're looking into it. I'll make sure to pass anything along that solves it on my end.

I'm on an HP 840 G3 with Intel HD 520, using the integrated webcam. No issues on any other videoconferencing platforms. I hope they sort it out soon.

Edit: Issue appears to be resolved. I just finished installing the latest windows feature update (20H2). Not wanting to go to bed defeated, I uninstalled the desktop client using windows' add/remove programs function. I then ran the Webex uninstall tool (https://cisco.bravais.com/s/Pw7auGIRLdBugdlb6nBv) and restarted my machine. I then reinstalled the client. I also ticked the 'Always show ... desktop app panel on top of desktop' option in the preferences screen. Everything seems to be working now. I hope this helps someone else.

TY for posting the link to the removal tool. I am waiting to see if other users have tried this fix and their results. Very promising.

Try this - 

• Click Start Meeting
  • From within the Meeting Window Click Audio and Video > Camera
  • Click on Advanced Settings and then un-check Hardware acceleration for video.  After completing these steps you should be able to join a Webex meeting, with video, without it crashing.

Thank you so much!! this worked like a charm. I did try installing all windows updates pending, uninstall and re-install Webex many times, but once I un-check Hardware acceleration it works.

I've not tried this but, am curious if you applied the Win 10 update then did this?

JanBerglund6419
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I download the tool? Found some links that didn't work.

kndskelton
Level 1
Level 1

When you uninstall are you running the Webex Removal Tool? After reinstall.. are you clicking on virtual background? If so.. uninstall from the control panel. Then run the Webex Removal Tool. Reboot your computer. Then reinstall WebEx... only this time don't select virtual background or blur. Hoping that at least helps till they fix this bug.

JanBerglund6419
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I do not have the advanced options, I can only chhose my camera "Logitech BRIO". I also tried to uninstall Webex and deleted all registry leftovers and the folder in my Program directory. Then reinstalled Webex but still the same problem.

Before the problem I could use Teams when Webex was running but not using the camera but now if Webex is running it crashes the camera in Teams also.

Best regards

kndskelton
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder if this is related to the known Bug that so far doesn't have a fix?? Virtual Background Crashes Webex ClientCSCvv88245

thomas.vidgar
Level 1
Level 1

Test this:

1. Start a meeting but do not enable your camera.

2. Click the little down-arrow on the right part of the "start video"-button.

3. Click Settings and then Advanced Settings

4. Change the current video capture method from whatever, to the other option (if the setting is auto, you might need to try this two times to ensure that both options are tested)...

5. Start your camera.

6. Success?

I tried this but didn't work. From Auto, I changed it to "Microsoft Media Foundation" and then to "Microsoft DirectShow", neither of those options work. When I try to start my video the app just closes. Any other suggestions?? 

The problem for me also started a couple of days ago, it was working just fine. 

Thanks!!

Natali

JanBerglund6419
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem. I think it might be a problem with sharing the camera driver with other apps. When Webex is running it is also crashing the camera in Teams.

If I connect to the Windows computer thru RDP the camera works without problems.

I am using a Logitech BRIO 4K camera that supports Windows Hello.

Best regards, Jan