cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Teams Desktop Upgrade Behavior

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

I'm hoping someone from Cisco can shed some light on the desktop client upgrade process for Webex Teams. A new release was made available yesterday and I usually try to install and test it as early as I can before the update gets pushed to other users in our org. I've often found that the new features that are supposed to be available do not show up immediately, even though I can see that the version/build number has been updated. It's like the features get pushed down afterwards, or are dependent on a server-side update on Cisco's end. I would like to better understand the process and I think it would be good for Cisco to document this to add some transparency for customers. It's very odd for people to upgrade to the latest version of the client and then not see any changes. 

After installing the latest update yesterday (v 40.10.1.16875), I am still not seeing the expected new features detailed here:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/8dmbcr/What-s-New-in-Cisco-Webex-Teams-xa

5 Replies 5

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can anyone from Cisco speak to this? I found the same behavior today when downloading the new release for Webex Teams (40.11.0.17133). While some of the new features are immediately visible, there are still advertised options that are missing from the client. For example, I can see the new themes that have been made available, but the options to remove background noise and enable music mode are not visible. Based on my experience, I expect these options will magically show up within the next couple of days, but I'd like to understand how these updates are rolled out so I can communicate it to my users.

It's very confusing for users to install the latest version expecting to see all the new features but not have them available. 

@Wade H. 

To a similar question in this forum a Cisco employee explained that server-side - features are rolled out step by step.
He also provided a link to a time-table... sadly I did not bookmark that URL.

edit:
this schedule looks promising: https://status.webex.com/maintenance?lang=en_US

edit 2:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX63978/How-Do-I-Tell-What-Cluster-My-Site-Is-On

Thanks for your reply. I considered the server-side maintenance schedule but I'm not convinced that this is the issue. The "Feature Enhancement" notes for the next maintenance of our cluster doesn't correspond to the missing features (which are client-side features anyway), and last month the new features appeared before the server maintenance was performed. Next maintenance for our cluster is scheduled for Dec 5th. I'll report back here if the missing features show up before then.

And as I typed this, I decided to relaunch the Webex Teams app (which I've done many times since upgrading) - some of the missing features now show up, but I'm still missing others. Very mysterious.

And all the new features are now available on my client. So it's like the updates get pushed down over a period of time.

@Wade H. 
Thanks for the status-updates.
Since we do not know, how Cisco implements new features, it´s the most obvious assumption that the Server-Clusters need some updates too.

New audio-features may require new audio-codecs which not just the Client but also the Server needs to support and possibly trans-code for participants on older/different plattforms..  (just guessing..)

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.