Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Teams for Linux Clients

lp-muc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello together,

is there a Webex Teams client available for linux machines?

Thanks, Best

Oliver

1 Accepted Solution

lilian.moraru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@lp-muc @AlamyLiu32171
Linux support for Webex | User Community Feedback (aha.io) - the official target is "Q1 CY2021".

Sorry, I don't think the client will be released earlier but the official statement was that it is in the works - porting bugs need to be squashed but expect a mostly feature complete native client once it is released.

NOTE: The Community Manager has marked this response as the current solution so that other community members can easily view the BU's response. The solution will be updated when there is more information from the BU.

View solution in original post

43 Replies 43

Whats the point of the Aha ideas portal when it's ignored anyway? Teams on Linux is now number 3 in the list. Cisco don't care about the customers. They just want sales sales sales. If you pay then leave then it's still a win for Cisco, right. I'm hearing many stories of customers moving to a solution that fits their business. ie microsoft teams. 

Most top voted aha ideas are being worked on/finished and being tested.

I would personally recommend to upvote the feature if you want more attention to it.

The Linux native client is a bigger challenge though.

"Most top voted aha ideas are being worked on/finished and being tested."

Is this confirmation that cisco are building a linux client for teams?

"The Linux native client is a bigger challenge though."

I disagree with your statement. Linux is not a new platform and there are competitors of Cisco that are doing it just fine, eg slack, zoom, microsoft teams. Implement basic messaging and calling as a starting point in Cisco Teams on Linux, then go from there. Simple really :)

"Is this confirmation that cisco are building a linux client for teams?" - No :)

I can just encourage the community to upvote on Aha Ideas, because it's not up to engineers how many resources are put into this.

Microsoft Teams is the web page in an Electron app.

Would you be ok with https://teams.webex.com/ in an Electron app?

If the website would implement all the feature of the native client and have comparable performance (like the Microsoft Teams and Slack client)? Of course yes!
With the current version of the https://teams.webex.com/? Hell no,  it's almost completely unusable: a lot of missing features (can't edit, cant view/add reactions) and the performance is incredibly bad. And yes, I know that there is a beta version that solves many of these issues, but with the beta version you can't make or join calls so it's completely useless.

Speaking of voting ideas, what happened with the website? The Linux client idea was the 3rd most popular idea since several weeks and today, when I checked again, I saw a bunch of new ideas, all created 8 days ago, with hundreds of upvotes and barely any comment. This looks pretty suspicious to me.

If you check the voter section of one of this incredibly new and popular idea, this is how it looks like:

image.png  

Windows and Mac users also vote for their preferred features :)

Btw, most Linux clients that were mentioned are just web pages inside a Chromium frame(Electron): Microsoft Teams, Skype, Slack.

That does not require as much effort but the performance difference will still be there(higher RAM and CPU usage, with slower startup times).

I just want to encourage you to continue voting, it does have an effect on the features being worked on.

Windows and Mac users also vote for their preferred features :)

Yeah, sure, all exactly 8 days ago and all together at the same time. And all with guest accounts.

Anyway, if Cisco could offer the same level of quality of Microsoft Teams, Skype and Slack client it would be perfect. The real problem is that the current WebEx Teams website is not even close to the equivalent quality level provided by the competition.

Thanks for pointing this out. Obviously the aha! portal is a farce and does not relate in any way to the requests of real users. I've just managed to add votes anonymously to the linux one. What a joke. 

:) 

I had not heard of Electron before you mentioned it. I have heard of other systems that can run a web app (like teams.webex.com) more like an application. I tested this, basic messaging works but nothing else. Because it was based on a cut-down version of Chromium. 

As long as the functionality is there, I think any solution is fine at this point. To get around the problem of the slow web app. frequent browser hangs (probably memory leaks but not confirmed) and browser crashes and finally, the user forgetting to launch the browser and therefore being offline. These are the problems we are facing while trying to use teams on a browser. 

Also, previously, the browser used to get the new features before the desktops. Now the browser version is one or more releases behind. 

Is electron app. something I can do (not a dev) or does this need to come from Cisco? 

Thank you for the help,

Regards,

I have to agree that a Linux client is sorely needed or at least some helpful and well-maintained browser extensions that optimize the experience, especially since Microsoft provides at least a "preview" client. Both products are largely broken when run in the browser for persistent collaboration activities. I don't why exactly, but I suspect it has to do with timeouts for single sign-on in the browser by administrators.  It's also harder to properly direct audio to headsets rather than speakers/soundcards when run in a browser. 

Cisco originally marketed Teams for the DevOps comunity and doing that without a Linux client is impossible.

I'd add that Linux desktop use by technical workers is likely to increase now that Microsoft has demonstrated complete abandonment of QA with their last year or so of system destroying mandatory updates and the latest Edge browser fiasco where it presents as a literal computer virus.

lilian.moraru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is currently no Webex Teams native client for Linux.

The alternative for Linux would be to use the web client: https://teams.webex.com/

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

You can refer this post for Webex meetings, cant find one for teams though

https://www.ost.agency/blog/how-to-make-cisco-webex-working-in-ubuntu-64bit.html

Solution:

Webex supports 32-bit distributions only.

Note: Support for some 64-bit distributions requires 32-bit binaries (Java runtime environment and browser).

Note: 64-bit Ubuntu is NOT officially supported. see related article below for Ubuntu support.

https://collaborationhelp.cisco.com/article/en-us/WBX25689

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!
***Please rate helpful posts***

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The product team expects GNU/Linux users to leverage the web client, including WebRTC-capable browsers such as Firefox.

Here you can Vote for a Webex Linux Client:

Click here to vote for a Webex for Linux Client.

I hope the collaboration Team will hear us.

I find this as really sad, everything in Networking Academy is geared towards Linux. I wanted to integrate this into a Virtual Machine build to deliver to my students in Ubuntu but no application support. Newer switches and routers offer IOS XE with LXC so I'm confused. They could at least support Debian or Red Hat / Centos. Sigh...   

Guys, you can submit that request here: https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about this feedback forum.

Click here to vote for a Webex for Linux Client.

Thanks,

Wim

Thank you for the link, I'll do that.

what a shame, my company just migrated everything on webex teams and a lot of people are unhappy bacause we need to use the web version, which is crap compared to the windows/mac client

No wonder zoom is taking over market share. I too hate this webex on browser.

Yes, our DevNet team just moved to Microsoft Teams due to the missing Linux solution :(
Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.