cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ability to Allow Host to Unmute Participants Without Sending Request to Unmute

lamottewebex
Level 1
Level 1

I was recently upgraded to Webex 40.10.4.2 and am unable as host to unmute participants directly.  It now sends a request instead.  It does not matter if I have selected to allow users to unmute themselves or not.  Is there a way around this?  Our hosts control our meetings and need to be able to unmute speakers at specified times in our meetings without the speaker having to approve the request to unmute.

2 Accepted Solutions

gautgupt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All, it is important to follow the audio privacy of Webex users and therefore we introduced the functionality in our October update where host/cohost cannot directly unmute any attendee. Host/cohost can only send the request to the attendee to unmute.

However, we do realize that there are scenarios where host will need more control of a meeting and a need to be able to unmute the attendees directly. We are planning to introduce a moderated mute mode which allow host/cohost to do so. This will still be controlled where host will need to select the moderated mute mode. Exact details and timeframes are being worked out. 

NOTE: The Community Manager has marked this response as the current solution so that other community members can easily view the BU's response. The solution will be updated when there is more information from the BU.

View solution in original post

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi everyone,

In the recent What's New Blog, it mentioned an update relevant to this thread and the 41.2 update...

"Moderated Unmute Mode

Moderated unmute mode can be enabled for meeting cases where hosts and cohost can directly unmute participants. (As opposed to the standard privacy mode, where a participant will receive a request to unmute from the host or cohost.) This is particularly useful for cases like the classroom, where students may be too young to read the prompts, and the teacher needs more direct control over the students' unmute.

Administrators can enable moderated unmute mode on their site, giving hosts access to this option in the meeting scheduler and personal room preferences. Meeting participants will see a clear indicator in the meeting window for meetings in Moderated unmute mode."

You can read more here - https://help.webex.com/en-us/xcwws1/What-s-New-for-the-Latest-Channel-of-Webex-Meetings#Cisco_Reference.dita_67fd4abb-53a5-4ba0-a9fb-ef17afc4d01e

Response Signature

View solution in original post

94 Replies 94

Mr. Callahan,

Thank you for your response to my original question. In our case, the
issue is not regarding training or users not knowing how to unmute. Due to
Covid and remote meetings, we run meetings where the host is responsible
for controlling the microphones of various speakers that have specific
times to present their information. Their laptops and cameras are setup
where they are not within easy access when it is their time to speak. Our
host will unmute them at the assigned time, the speaker will then present
their information, and the host will mute them and unmute the next
speaker. That is a very simplistic description of our situation. There
are more aspects to it but that is the main idea.

Regarding the security/privacy aspect, is it possible to have a user
setting where the participant can select to "allow host to unmute". That
would give their consent then for the host to unmute. Our speakers could
then select that option and the host could unmute them when needed. Other
users could opt to not allow the host to unmute and instead would only
receive the request to unmute.

Regards,
Doug Christian

gk9005
Level 1
Level 1

The problem is lots of attendees bring a lot of system noise and when there are 20 or more participants, you don't know whose system is making a noise. The meeting becomes untenable. coz nobody could hear what's going on. The meeting becoming useless and creates animosity for a subpar system - Cisco Webex. It is important to be able to unmute all at once. The company should reconsider the negative impression being created for this product.

Sorry newbie here. My post just above is about muting all participants to control the noise, not unmuttng. It is paramount to unmute all quickly because of the noise.

RFC-IT
Level 1
Level 1

In learning/teaching scenario the control by the host (teacher) to mute/unmute microphones (and maybe enable/disable remote cameras too) is very relevant.
This is also usefull in research meetings (we are a University) where the host (the chair) coordinates speechs of the panelists (maybe external of our organization and not used to use webex)

A good compromise between usability and privacy would be a selection (to do one time at the start of the meeting) by every participant on max privacy level (no control by host) or delegation in the control of devices: every participant explicit his agreement to delegate the use without privacy disputes.

angelo.phillips
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco you have to act fast!! There have been so many days already and still nothing has changed. Whole countries and governments are based on your platform, you make millions and you can't offer reliable services. You're offering webex at schools and you expect from students to be able to unmute theirselves... Tragic!! 

TomUT
Level 1
Level 1

We have remote classrooms in place using video conferencing units.  The classes went smooth up until this "feature" was enabled.  It hasn't been a privacy issue up until the feature was put in to place.  I get that adding it IS a privacy feature, but simply put, if you want to keep a customer, or several, you'll provide a very quick workaround to this issue.

claudio.borroni
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue and I would REALLY like to go back to the older version. I use Webex meeting in my University to look after students and to prevent cheating while they are doing exams. I need to unmute them randomly to hear if there's something wrong in their rooms. The new feature makes it impossible...

I also think the idea of a participant "Mute Lock" button is an elegant solution to the problem.  It allows the host the necessary ability to mute/unmute as needed for decent audio quality, but gives the participant the privacy if, for some reason, the participant actually does not want to heard.

Micah.Sam
Level 1
Level 1

@Fritz_H  Yeah and, agreed - one of my prior Directors had a great policy, which was "bring me any problem you like, but you have to bring a proposed solution at the same time." Realize my post was probably unnecessarily lengthy - just felt like it was important to really spell out why even very smart folks can be thrown off when a seemingly small change has a large (and likely unintended) effect. As with anything, think communication and working together to come up with a solution is key. And, totally agree - particularly in a medical environment, privacy is so absolutely critical, especially as we see a spike in cybercrime targeting these very institutions. Really do like your solution - it helps keep that larger change to protect privacy intact, while allowing experience users (or those who learn the mute/unmute function) to self-select for this capability. 

It sounds like Cisco is thinking through this too- here's hoping they provide an update soon so folks like @Kathy N. can wrangle in those kids (arguably, slightly less challenging to train on technological changes as physicians ^o^)

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

I will add my 2 cents in here from the K12 education side.  Managing a class with children aged anywhere from 4 years old to 18 years old is challenging by itself.  Now add the fact in that students can be muted, either by themself or the teacher, and have to interact to turn it back on is an additional challenge.  Often they don't have video turned on because of their internet service or because they don't want others to see what they're doing.  The teacher calls on them and is now not able to engage that student without their responding to the screen.  Sometimes this is because they're distracted or not paying attention and sometimes it's because they are intentionally ignoring the teacher.  

Please help teacher's do be able to manage a class without adding roadblocks into the process.  Agree that there may be times you want to mute everyone and require them to respond so an additional role may be an option.  Regardless of how it is done, K12 teacher's will be extremely grateful if this can be changed.....soon.

Response Signature

Micah.Sam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fritz!

Wanted to chime in here and say that I like your solution of having the "two lock" system - one in which the host can mutes/unmute participants, and another where a user mutes themselves and only they can un-mute. This rather elegantly helps address the privacy concern about WebEx hosts unmuting someone who has decided they want to stay private - and I would agree, if someone understands how to mute, then they will also know how to un-mute. 

I also wanted to add to the chorus here of people who have found this sudden change to be challenging - and perhaps address why people aren't "not smart enough" to figure out how to unmute. I work in a large, rural hospital system - many of our endusers are physicians, medical staff, etc. I.e., generally highly educated people who are plenty smart. COVID has forced all of us to adapt our processes on the fly - which, of course, means a sudden adoption of televideo as a mode for meetings, patient visits, tumor conferences, etc. 

What this means is that a lot of people who may have used this technology once or twice in the past year are all of a sudden using it all the time. The massive influx of people using the tech and a severe lack of staffing throughout means that there wasn't really time to train people appropriately. Furthermore, there have been tweaks to WebEx over the past few months, including a change in visual formatting (e.g., they added the small microphone icon on the right panel instead of a speaker icon, the way that icons is displayed has been adjusted, etc.). It's sometimes hard to teach people when the format of things shift - even very smart folks like physicians!

In the real world, like Tom says, most hosts end up muting everyone on join because the amount of people who don't mute (or don't know how to mute) is extremely high. People are calling in from their cars, from their homes w/ kids - and those who make the most noise are usually unaware they are the culprit. Muting all is much easier. Furthermore, even though people attend many, many meetings this way, they don't always talk - and up to this point, moderators often did the muting/unmuting. 

So, you now have 100's of endusers who have never actually pressed the mute button/don't have any idea where it is. Some people mute their office phones but don't use the mute button in WebEx. Sometimes they get muted by the mod and mute their phones and thus get double muted and can't figure it out why no one can hear them talk. In a real world scenario, there isn't time to have someone figure this out - mostly there are calls for people to unmute and if they don't figure it out, then the meeting moves on. And most people just chalk it up to "problems with the WebEx again" and don't circle back to really understand why.  

What this boils down to is: a change like this has a large scale effect on a process that most people in the real world rely on to avoid the chaos that ensues from having 50+ people on a call of which only 1/2 may actually know that a mute function exists and only 1/4 actually use it. While there are things that can be done to address is (e.g., providing a quick training/tip document to end users on the change and reminding them at EVERY MEETING that they have to manually unmute themselves) this sort of thing takes time to percolate and it becomes a huge problem when it's dropped without warning and people only find out about it when they try to do what has worked 100/100 time previously and now does not. 

Again, I favor Fritz's solution above because it's elegant, but also would hope that the plan for Cisco to roll back/modify this is emergent - think it's totally workable, just need to make sure information about the change is cascaded appropriately so people aren't caught off guard (it would be better to have people prepared and then turn on, then turn on and have people scramble to figure out why things are suddenly different). 

Also, for the record, Cisco's own training page even still indicates that hosts can mute/unmute participants so this is clearly a new "feature" (contrary to the first response): https://help.webex.com/en-us/n94aj5j/Mute-or-Unmute-in-Webex-Meetings-Suite

My 2 cents

=m=

@Micah.Sam 
Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion and write a long answer.

I guess, I did not emphasize enough, that I do see some "room for improvement" regarding this mute/unmute - thing.
There is lots of complaining, but I missed suggestions how to fix this.
Since Cisco offers this forum ( https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas ) they clearly show that they are listening.
I guess we should use this opportunity...

I fully understand, that a lot of people are now working with Video-Conferencing solutions for the first time.
They need solutions that are easy to use: -> usability.
Perhaps Cisco may need to put more focus on that?

Esp. since this pandemic may be a big opportunity for Cisco to take/keep the lead in this business.
Usability makes technology easy to use => useful.

I think the Webex Devices are a big advantage against the competition and also the software:
just compare the User-Interface of MS-Teams to Webex-Teams: to me the Cisco-Solution is far more intuitive.
And as you pointed out correctly, there often is no time for training: the easy-to-use - solution will succeed.

On the other hand:
In environments like e.g. yours, (working with highly sensitve, confidental data) the Client needs a solution that is also secure to use. Therefore I also understand Cisco´s Point of View regarding "forced unmuting"...

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wow, this discussion is very interesting to me (seen from an european POV):

it´s 2020, Mr. Snowden is already almost history and there is still complaint about measures that may help to improve the protection of privacy.
Perhaps even more interesting, perhaps even shocking, is the fact that Webex-Users are considered to be too stupid (?) to unmute themselves.

I have been working in IT-Support for a long time and therefore I know very well, how... "special" Users can be, but I still believe in their learning ability - esp. if you take the time to explain the benefit of a (any) change.

Do you have a good idea or suggestion for a solution how to cover both: ease of use and options to protect privacy?
Please post them here: https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas

As an example you may perhaps want take a look at my suggestion: https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-1535

kind regards
some guy from Europe

If a Host Mutes a Participant, then the Host should be able to Unmute that Participant, this gives the Host some control over the flow of engagement, but if a Participant Self-Mutes, then that participant has signaled a desire for privacy and not participate therefore the Host can Request re-engagement but certainly not force it. 

Your suggestion https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-1535 is basically the same idea. I just read it.

Dear Fritz,

It's not a question of the users being "stupid." As a meeting moderator or presenter, I often put the entire meeting on mute at the beginning to deal with issues like ambient background noise from the participants. This is a very common practice, a fact you are apparently not aware of. As a moderator, it has also been my practice to unmute people when they are called upon. Previously, this just worked as intended. Now it does not, requiring individual participants to grope around for their Webex interface or requiring me to remind them to hit *6. While this is merely an inconvenience, it's a significant one (and my cohorts are technical people; I can only imagine the challenges of, say, teachers).

Like many technical people, you seem unable to appreciate that there is a wide variety of use cases and, indeed, users.

Or perhaps you're the one who is, ahem, not that bright.

Anyway, allow me to add yet another vote to having this feature restored in some fashion. If people want themselves to remain muted in a teleconference, they can use their own device's mute button.

@tom.maddox 
I fully understand and support that you mute the whole "crowd" - I just wonder why people are not smart enough (?) to click *unmute*.
Sadly I have not yet seen a screenshot of this "unmute request" - perhaps it´s not designed with usability in mind?

Upcoming releases of Webex-Meetings will show a message as soon as you start talking into a muted microphone.
I hope this pop-up will include the unmute-button

You mentioned "*6" which reminds me, that in some countries people still use phone-calls to join a webex-meeting (instead of the VoIP-Features of the Webex-*- App.
(perhaps the network-coverage is too low or the data-plans too expensive? don´t know.. )
I did not think of that - sorry.

As far as I can say, the classic Deskphone is going extinct in Europe - esp. new offices are often planned without such devices since every employee has at least one company-smartphone anyway.
If needed, You may install a VoIP-App and take your fixed line phone-number with you.
(non-business-tariff-example, Austria:  1000 minutes of calls + 30 GB of Data (up to 100MBit) for monthly 15,- Euro. (SIM only))

Yes, they need to put the control only for PC audio. Most phone users don't remember that they can hit *6 to unmute and apparently the request does not work for room kits. If they fix those things then I would be ok with it.

@gmreed 

Ah, I forgot that there are still people out there who use classic Phone-Calls to join a Webex-Meeting.
My fault, sorry.

Also, a Mute Lock button for the user would be a better solution. That way privacy can be protected and controlled by the participant.

@gmreed 
Yes, you may also call my suggestion ...
(https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-1535)
... a "mute lock" which the host can not override.

charlesgv
Level 4
Level 4

We have had customer's suddenly enquiring about this change as it is affecting their video engagement especially those who are joining from video endpoints and do not get the request to unmute. No other feature change of Webex over the past few months has had this kind of a disruption. Please consider to rollback this feature until a sensible privacy solution can be developed. A pop-up message for the participant when unmuted by the host would make more sense rather than relying on the participant to unmute themselves.

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.