cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After new Teams version update and new PC - Can't insert web-site links into a message

plapsley
Level 1
Level 1

Used to "copy" link from Edge web browser and then right-click/paste into a message in Teams.

Now it won't work.

Error: "Display text and link address don't match.  The link address to display must match the link address entered."

WTPiss.JPG

9 Replies 9

mbovilsky
Level 1
Level 1

Copying links from Edge and pasting them into WebEx Messaging works fine if you have Edge set to Plain Text instead of Link.

But the Link functionality of Edge is nice and works fine in every other application like Outlook, Word, etc.

It should work in WebEx, too. We shouldn't have to turn it off just because WebEx can't handle, IMHO.

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@plapsley 
I also noticed this once but can´t reproduce (? redo?) it now.

My guess is:
If the copied link is not just plain text but HTML: e.g. a word with the URL "behind" it/ embedded to it.

Like:   "click here"  but the word "here" is a hyperlink to www.cisco.com.

In this case the displayed text ("here") and the actual URL (https://www.cisco.com) do not match.
But as I said: Sadly I can not reproduce/redo it right now...

Yeah, it seems fixed on the ms Edge-side or on the Webex side, not sure witch, but when you paste something from Edge address bar it no longer paste with both url and meta data clear text name, only url gets pasted...

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

I think this has more to do with how Edge tries to format links when you copy/paste, a behavior which I actually dislike very much. Fortunately, you can disable this option in Edge: Settings -> Share, Copy, and Paste -> URL copy & paste format default -> Plain text 

It is exactly this that is the problem, Webex app cannot handle "(new) Edge in the default way of formatting the link you copy from the address field. 

To provoke this problem, just go to any youtube clip and copy the url from the address field, paste it to a space and hit send. Do this in Chromium Edge and in any other browser and see the difference...

@thomas.vidgar 
done - no problem (any more)
fixed in a recent Webex Update?  (Version: 41.3.0.18143)
grafik.png

thomas.vidgar
Level 1
Level 1

@plapsley I think you will find that:

1. If you first copy the link to notepad or similar, then re-copy it to the Webex app it will work.

2. This only happen for some specific sites, not for all, correct?

If your experience match the above two statements I think the problem is similar to what i have seen myself.

It seems that if the metadata for the url (when you copy from your browser, you get more than just the url, you get a friendly name and such as well nowadays) doesn't properly match the actual url. In these cases Webex seems to not accept the paste.

Sadly, i have no proper solution for you, only the workaround at point 1 above. But, even though this already is reported by me to Cisco, it might get solved quicker if you send in feedback as well so please do that...

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

I tested this with my webex account and was able to post a link with no problems.  I'm on version 41.3.0.18143. Suggest you try again or with a link from a different site to see if it's just something with that site.

Response Signature

No, that is not it. I most frequently run into this error (frustratingly) when I go back and *edit* a webex teams post that I had included a link in originally.