cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automated Uninstall of Webex Meetings Desktop Application - Possible?

thehappyadmin
Level 1
Level 1

It appears that the Webex meetings application can be installed by a user but requires an admin to uninstall it.  This application is the webex.exe program that gets downloaded when a user joins a meeting.  Anyone can replicate this with the Webex Test Meeting.

The uninstall string in the user registry is as follows: 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ActiveTouchMeetingClient]
"UninstallString"="C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\WebEx\atcliun.exe" /x MEETINGS LANGUAGE=EN

As we can see, this program is installed per user, not per computer.  The uninstall launches the atcliun.exe program.

If the atcliun.exe program is not launched with the RUNASADMIN flag, it appears to automatically relaunch itself with this flag and elevates the process.  This is the part which requires an admin.  (Interestingly, if you launch the atcliun.exe program WITH the RUNASADMIN flag, this actually bypasses the elevation...probably a bug)

Because this is installed per user, I'm now left without a way to launch a script in a the background to perform the uninstall on user login, etc.

Cisco also provides a Webex Meetings Uninstall tool available here.  I can script the program to run on computer boot but it does not remove all traces of Webex Meetings.  (most notable, it leaves entries in the user registry uninstall area so that it still shows up as being installed).  I suspect that the tool has bugs that prevent a full uninstall.

So now I cannot uninstall the program via a regular user when logged in and I cannot uninstall the program on computer boot when running the uninstall tool as an elevated admin user (perhaps the user registry hives are not loaded?  Not sure.).

What is an admin to do to get this program uninstalled?  Who designed a system such that a user can install something and only an admin can uninstall it?

PS: The reason we want to remove the program is we have found some older versions, when installed, prevent current versions from running.  If we automatically removed the program, this would prevent manual intervention for users.

PPS:  I'm only interested in the very limited scope of the issue defined in this discussion (ie: not interested in discussion using the "Join from Browser" option, installing via their webex.msi, etc).

3 Replies 3

daviderocco
Level 1
Level 1

I have this issue too and it is extremely annoying.

I installed it as a standard user with a standard account. Who designed a system such that a user can install something and only an admin can uninstall it?

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@thehappyadmin 

Just asking: are you sure that those users do/did not have local-admin rights?
Because: I have been working at a large company once, which offered to enable local-admin-rights for a limited time (e.g. 1 day) for special users who had a business-need to install/un-install software every now and then.  (Manager´s approval required, of course).

@Fritz_H wrote:

@thehappyadmin 

Just asking: are you sure that those users do/did not have local-admin rights?

Yes, the users do not have any admin rights.