cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Auto-Exposure (Desktop, Windows)

RyanG13
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way on the Windows Desktop application (40.6.6.7) to disable the automatic brightness/exposure adjustment?

I have verified this is not a camera setting in Windows 10 and is 100% being driven by the WebEx application. A lot of people are moving to better lighting/camera setups and if WebEx is just going to blow-out the exposure settings because it "feels it's too dark" then that negates the use of good (expensive) lighting setups and makes me want to move to a communications platform that doesn't automatically adjust video settings (or at least has the ability to disable such features).

6 Replies 6

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@RyanG13  @NicholasL2020 

You have been heard, as it seems:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/xcwws1/What-s-New-for-the-Latest-Channel-of-Webex-Meetings

October 2020 (40.10)

( ... )

New Advanced Video Settings

An "Advanced Video Settings" area is now available below the Camera tab of the desktop app for Windows and Mac.

We’ve added three new advanced settings to the desktop app.

* (...)

* Automatic adjustment of camera brightness (Windows and Mac) - This setting is used to enable or disable automatic camera brightness adjustments. This option improves the visibility of content captured by the camera.
* (...)

Scott M
Level 1
Level 1

The Advanced camera options menu appears to have been removed with a recent update.  I suspect this was removed when the Virtual Background feature was added.

Link shows what the menu looked like previously (article dated March 2020):

https://help.webex.com/en-us/mv1ote/Increase-the-Brightness-of-Your-Video-in-a-Webex-Meeting-or-Event

Todd.Laughery
Level 1
Level 1

Just invested in studio quality LED light panels to improve my WebEx video and this auto exposure feature has rendered them useless. Please add the option to manually set exposure level now! Thanks. 

Orchestructive
Level 1
Level 1

We've actually moved to a different platform (rhymes with Bike row sloth Jeans) because of this issue. 

NicholasL2020
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah this feature is ridiculous. It basically turns any professional video quality into a completely pixelated and grainy image. I was in the middle of an important meeting with executives at my job when this feature turned on for the first time. Given COVID, the way employees represent themselves and their skill set is through video...so I found this embarrassing to say the very least. Please fix asap.

Exact same issue. I'm teaching a lighting design class and need to have visuals look correct. I'm using OBS to control my camera and overlays. It looks great in OBS but 2 seconds after I start my camera in Webex it get blown out. Using Webex Ver 40.8.7.13

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.