cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do virtual backgrounds increase bandwidth utilization?

amoskraus
Level 1
Level 1

We've been using virtual backgrounds for a month or two now and I have had a few people say the performance of there video conference is impacted when they use a virtual background.  I did some testing on my own and I didn't see an increase in bandwidth when adding a virtual background verse not using one.  Video bandwidth seems to mainly be affected by the amount of movement. 

We like the additional privacy that virtual backgrounds add, but I just want to make sure I understand if there any possible down sides to using virtual backgrounds.  Any recommendations / feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@amoskraus 
While analog filming meant to shoot 24 (or more) full-frame-pictures per second, modern digital Video-Compression-Algorithms ("Codecs") are working with just a few full frame images and visual changes.
Usually a Codec takes a full frame image and then saves just the visual changes of the following frames.
After some time another full frame image is taken and then again just the differences and so on.
As you noted, movement is such a visual change.

If the background of your VideoCall is e.g. a window showing a busy street or trees moving in the wind etc.. this will cause to Data-Rate to increase while a static background (wall, curtain etc.) or a static virtual background will not cause the Data-Rate to rise.
I also remember, that Cisco recently announced to have optimized the Video-Codec to provide more detail (= Data) for the Face-Area and use less bits and bytes for the background. (sorry, can not find the link to that announcement any more..)

Webex (and all other similar software-based tools) use an algorithm to recognize and differentiate between Person and Background. This will sometimes cause artefacts and semi-transparent body-parts.
You may "help" the Software by wearing clothes that have a very different color than the real (!) Background (since this is the data the algorithm is working with..) OR you may go pro and think about a green-screen-solution/chroma keying.
But since Webex does not yet (?) support this feature natively, this method will cause some changes in your setup and is also a bit far off-Topic.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@amoskraus 
While analog filming meant to shoot 24 (or more) full-frame-pictures per second, modern digital Video-Compression-Algorithms ("Codecs") are working with just a few full frame images and visual changes.
Usually a Codec takes a full frame image and then saves just the visual changes of the following frames.
After some time another full frame image is taken and then again just the differences and so on.
As you noted, movement is such a visual change.

If the background of your VideoCall is e.g. a window showing a busy street or trees moving in the wind etc.. this will cause to Data-Rate to increase while a static background (wall, curtain etc.) or a static virtual background will not cause the Data-Rate to rise.
I also remember, that Cisco recently announced to have optimized the Video-Codec to provide more detail (= Data) for the Face-Area and use less bits and bytes for the background. (sorry, can not find the link to that announcement any more..)

Webex (and all other similar software-based tools) use an algorithm to recognize and differentiate between Person and Background. This will sometimes cause artefacts and semi-transparent body-parts.
You may "help" the Software by wearing clothes that have a very different color than the real (!) Background (since this is the data the algorithm is working with..) OR you may go pro and think about a green-screen-solution/chroma keying.
But since Webex does not yet (?) support this feature natively, this method will cause some changes in your setup and is also a bit far off-Topic.

Thanks for your reply Fritz_H.  This information is very helpful and helps confirm what I was thinking/seeing.

Avinash Gaur
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @amoskraus ,

There is a hardware requirement for virtual background feature to work on Webex. Please see the link below:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/80jduab/Use-a-Virtual-Background-in-the-Cisco-Webex-Meetings-Suite#id_138414

Basically, the Virtual Background feature is CPU intensive, hence BU has provided these guidelines. 

Also, please see the link below for minimum bandwidth requirements for sending and receiving video in a Webex meeting:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX22158/What-are-the-Minimum-Bandwidth-Requirements-for-Sending-and-Receiving-Video-in-Cisco-Webex-Meetings

Thanks,

Avinash

Response Signature

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.