Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Teams for Linux Clients

lp-muc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello together,

is there a Webex Teams client available for linux machines?

Thanks, Best

Oliver

1 Accepted Solution

lilian.moraru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@lp-muc @AlamyLiu32171
Linux support for Webex | User Community Feedback (aha.io) - the official target is "Q1 CY2021".

Sorry, I don't think the client will be released earlier but the official statement was that it is in the works - porting bugs need to be squashed but expect a mostly feature complete native client once it is released.

NOTE: The Community Manager has marked this response as the current solution so that other community members can easily view the BU's response. The solution will be updated when there is more information from the BU.

View solution in original post

43 Replies 43

frerk.meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Feedback about your WebEx Linux native client:

Pro:

+ I managed to install it on openSuSE LEap 15.3 with the WebEx.rpm

+ I am able to participate in meetings with my colleagues from my Home-Office

+ it works stable, no crashes so far

Contra:

- Chat function not implemented (yet?)

- no Version information anywhere. Download is always the same name. Can't see if there is a new version available or will ever be

- IMPORTANT: CPU Hog. Uses 100% of all 4 cpu cores an my Intel i7. No other app usable during meeting. Fan at 100% all the time. Goes to ~40% if Window is minimized. Uses 25% of CPU constantly while idle doing nothing but being approachable.

I use X-Windows on standard integrated Intel graphics, nothing fancy, no proprietary driver. Other video conferencing software is doing great, Zoom reaches maximum of 25% CPU on the same hardware with 30 participants full-screen.

I guess this is Alpha-Software (chat missing, no optimizations). I guess they are not using any form of hardware acceleration in Video decompression, even if available and supported.

So my question is:

Is anyone at Cicso currently working on a better version that is on par with competitor products? Or is Linux no important plattform and we have to live with this client?

Seems like user error. opensuse is not in the list of supported OS's.

Webex teams has had its fair share of problems on supported OS's. Expecting
this to work on unsupported OS's is optimistic at least.

This is why businesses have SOE's. If you're just wanting to use a BYO
device temporarily then use the webex web client temporarily.
Else you have 2 options:
1) do what I have done and get a SOE that works for your business. This
would mean ubuntu or redhat. And yes I have done this, we moved from ubuntu
to centos for Cisco AMP reasons 2 or 3 years back.
2) or reach out to your AM and put forward a RFE that may get actioned in a
few years or if you're a really big spender with cisco then they might pick
it up quicker.

Now there's an official client out, would it be possible to make it... work?

Your expectations are too high. The customers are the guinea pigs, the *free* QA testers. But actually, the customers pay to be cisco's QA.

lilian.moraru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@lp-muc @AlamyLiu32171
Linux support for Webex | User Community Feedback (aha.io) - the official target is "Q1 CY2021".

Sorry, I don't think the client will be released earlier but the official statement was that it is in the works - porting bugs need to be squashed but expect a mostly feature complete native client once it is released.

NOTE: The Community Manager has marked this response as the current solution so that other community members can easily view the BU's response. The solution will be updated when there is more information from the BU.

Blew right past this date with no update as to when it will be released.  Can we get a release update?

Did you read the latest post above? It is being released April 2021. So, any day now.

I would like to inform my Linux Colleagues about the availability of the Webex Client for Linux.

Anyone can give me the link were people can read about and download the Software?

Thanks,

It's already here:

https://www.webex.com/downloads.html

Victor

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to poke in here and let everyone know Linux support for Webex is the main highlight on the What's New Coming soon! It mentions...

"Coming in April 2021

Webex app on Linux

For the open-source community, we are pleased to announce that Webex is now bringing you messaging, meeting, and one-to-one calling for at work and educational settings. All the core Webex capabilities in a single app are supported to help you seamlessly collaborate. This is just the beginning; support for advanced calling and a full-featured meeting experience will be added in the upcoming releases. The .deb and .rpm packages will soon be available on the Webex downloads page."

Here is the link - https://help.webex.com/en-us/8dmbcr/Webex-What-s-New#Cisco_Reference.dita_eb619210-39c1-4e0d-9131-717696c2c647

Response Signature

AlamyLiu32171
Level 1
Level 1

My company uses WebEx teams.

The Web version was working fine until last Thursday (2020-12-03). I had lost connection with other colleagues since then.

I had created Ticket to both Cisco & my company and they are still working on it

If you do have Engineer version for Linux (x64), I do really like to try & providing feedback.  I just need the message function (like messenger) to work.

Thanks~

1. What issue are you getting with the website teams.webex.com?
  2. Are you able to open it and log in?
  3. Have you tried with different browsers (e.g. Firefox, Chrome, etc)?
  4. If you are able to open the website, have you tried to Opt In for the beta (bottom left corner, above the Help menu)?

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Keep hitting the problem.. I give up!

I understand it tries to be smart, but becomes not user friendly.

OK, but what is the problem? From the screenshot looks like you just have to login... Do you get any error? Can you try using Google Chrome?

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all,

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread and submitted your vote in the User Community Feedback Portal. I'm sure you've all seen it, but because you rallied behind the idea, our product team better is bringing Linux support for Webex to life.

Linux support has been an idea that has been asked for and thought of for quite some time, but the influx of votes from YOU displayed the dire need for this to our product team. This idea has over 800 people from over 300 companies and 100 partners supporting it. As the Community Manager, it thrills me to see this and the power of community. Your thoughts, ideas, and frustrations are all important to hear for us to make a better product, so thank you for continuing to share those here in the community and the AHA portal.

Thank you all for being a part of the conversation!

Response Signature

lilian.moraru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-61 - is now in "Planned" state.

See what you did?

Thanks for voting

lilian.moraru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Leaving the link to Aha ideas that was mentioned in this thread:

https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-61

perander
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the status for this? On the issue on aha.io it states it's under "Future consideration".

The status is that Cisco simply does not care, no matter how many people are asking for this feature.

Currently the Linux idea is the 2nd most popular idea in the User Community Feedback, with 7x the comments of the #1 idea:

image.png

leinardi
Level 1
Level 1

So, the request of a Linux client is now the 4th most popular idea of the official Cisco User Community Feedback:image.png

When are you guys going to acknowledge the issue and release a proper Linux client or, at least, fix the broken web version?

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.