Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why use WebEx Web app? Seems like there are multiple limitations and issues

CAVEAT - I am a new user of Training Center, trying to ramp up my knowledge quickly in order to design and deliver some virtual learning within our organization. Hence, if I ask a "stupid" question, please bear with me and realize I am drinking from a frie hose right now.

I am trying to understand the difference between the Desktop App (which I believe is installed on all workstations across our enterprise) and the Web (browser-based) App. While the latter eliminates the need to download and install anything (which may be moot for my situation), the articles I am reading on the Cisco site seem to indicate numerous limitations when users are going through the Web app (raise hand functionality unavailable, content sharing not available on all browsers, presenters cannot transfer mouse controls to that user, cannot pass host role to user in web app, cannot view whiteboards or shared files in breakout sessions, etc.). Am I missing something - these "limitations" seem to compromise the ability to have an interactive session because some participants are unable to leverage key functions. Why would I have anyone use the web app?

And, if I understand correctly, the host is able to start a meeting from the desktop app or web app as well, correct? Why would the host use the web app? It seems like that would limit their ability to use some of the functionality in the training session. 

I appreciate your patience with the questions and any insight or direction you can offer.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Clare Davis, Webex SME
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is a great question, and typically no, Hosts don't use the WebApp to host, but it comes in useful for attendees when joining session and their computers have different security settings that don't allow them in using the desktop app.  I am sure you've seen this article here: https://help.webex.com/en-us/n0rqd8g/Cisco-Webex-Web-App-Known-Issues-and-Limitations 

Once an attendee is in via the WebApp, they can try clicking on the "More Options" button (that is in round buttons below) to switch to the Desktop app for full functionality.  

If your Host all have Webex deployed, they should be good to go!

Response Signature

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Clare Davis, Webex SME
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is a great question, and typically no, Hosts don't use the WebApp to host, but it comes in useful for attendees when joining session and their computers have different security settings that don't allow them in using the desktop app.  I am sure you've seen this article here: https://help.webex.com/en-us/n0rqd8g/Cisco-Webex-Web-App-Known-Issues-and-Limitations 

Once an attendee is in via the WebApp, they can try clicking on the "More Options" button (that is in round buttons below) to switch to the Desktop app for full functionality.  

If your Host all have Webex deployed, they should be good to go!

Response Signature

Thanks so much. That makes sense, and I spoke with our IT Director earlier today. He confirmed that all workstations system wide have the desktop app installed and we have a way for remote employees to access the desktop app if they do not wish to download the desktop version on their personal computer.

I so appreciate your help as we try to get up to speed quickly!

Have a great day.

Eric