cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Features notices?

Ann.Fisher
Spotlight
Spotlight

My team and I were surprised to see the "Apps" function debut on Webex Events, and I realize that it would be very handy to have a one-stop source for end users to find out about changes to the user interface as soon as (or even before!) they roll out. Is there a newsletter or something I can subscribe to so I can stay on top of things?

5 Accepted Solutions

bethany.watkins
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if there is a newsletter but there is a website: What's new in Webex

View solution in original post

stubailey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey @Ann.Fisher , @bethany.watkins Is correct!

You can use the What's New page which is updated around the second week of each month.

It's maintained monthly to curate updates across the portfolio and supported by help articles with details and release notes

We also send out a What's New email to IT Admins too, so if you're not receiving this, I'd suggest reaching out to your CSM(if you have one) and they can forward it to you.

We'll will also be launching a Preference Centre around February time which will allow Admins and users to chose what they want to subscribe to so you're always up to date or prepared for any changes or updates that are coming. 
And finally, there is also the What's New Blog that comes out around the same time: Welcome to the Video Conferencing Hub (webex.com) which has lots of useful updates each month too

I hope that helps but please let us know if you need any more information?

Hi @Ann.Fisher , 

Webex Community Manager here. Thanks for your question and addressing your confusion. You are subscribed to the right board for what you are using. This isn't limited to Webex Events using a mobile app. I have updated the name of this board to avoid any confusion. Once again, thanks for voicing this. You are what makes the community great!

Response Signature

Hi Ann - I am sorry I misunderstood your post.  I have tested on cisco.webex.com and I am able to see captions when an Attendee speaks.  In this test my daughter called into the Webex as an Audio Only Participant - and I saw both captions from myself and my daughter.   I am going to test again to see if she is on the Webex App if it works the same

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 12.53.53 PM.png

Here is my second test, I see captions for both Webinar Panelist and Attendee. In this example, my daughter was on a second laptop as an Attendee using VOIP.  This was Cisco Webex 42.3.     Would you be able to contact Cisco TAC to report the issue you are seeing? By design our automated captions should pick up Attendee and Panelist audio and turn speech to text.    I do notice it is not picking up and tagging the attendee's name - it's coming in as User - so I will check with the Product Team on that.

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 1.05.27 PM.png

11 Replies 11

stubailey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey @Ann.Fisher , @bethany.watkins Is correct!

You can use the What's New page which is updated around the second week of each month.

It's maintained monthly to curate updates across the portfolio and supported by help articles with details and release notes

We also send out a What's New email to IT Admins too, so if you're not receiving this, I'd suggest reaching out to your CSM(if you have one) and they can forward it to you.

We'll will also be launching a Preference Centre around February time which will allow Admins and users to chose what they want to subscribe to so you're always up to date or prepared for any changes or updates that are coming. 
And finally, there is also the What's New Blog that comes out around the same time: Welcome to the Video Conferencing Hub (webex.com) which has lots of useful updates each month too

I hope that helps but please let us know if you need any more information?

I've been looking around at all the support forums, and find myself getting confused with all the different names for different products. We are using Webex Events (both classic and new, all newly-scheduled events going into new). Is the Webex Events App something that only talks about the mobile-device app? I want to be sure I am subscribed to the computer based Webex Events announcements. Thanks so much for the help!

Hi @Ann.Fisher , 

Webex Community Manager here. Thanks for your question and addressing your confusion. You are subscribed to the right board for what you are using. This isn't limited to Webex Events using a mobile app. I have updated the name of this board to avoid any confusion. Once again, thanks for voicing this. You are what makes the community great!

Response Signature

Hi Cole,

Is there any note about the change in Closed Caption format and availability? We noticed the change yesterday. I've gotten no notifications that anything was announced, but this affects us. I'm also concerned about the news I happed to stumble upon about WebView2 being mandatory in June. When were you planning to announce this to your users? We're not a small business that can buy and install an upgrade the same day - it takes us months to add in new software! Please please try to appoint someone to hold the end user's point of view in their communications planning.

Hello - I can not find any reference to WebView2 being mandatory to Cisco Webex Closed Captioning.  I did find this update regarding WebView2

Webex App displays some web-based content using an embedded browser. Microsoft has released a new embedded browser WebView2 that is recommended for Windows applications.

In the next few months, WebView2 will become a prerequisite for using Webex App on Windows. Webex App will attempt to download and install WebView2 whenever possible. We recommend that administrators proactively install WebView2 on users' computers, to control the rollout schedule.

https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/nzpgci2/Webex-App-|-WebView2-requirement

Can you share more details on what you've noticed for the Closed Captioning format and I will keep investigating.

Hi Mary,
As of yesterday, the team noticed this:
[cid:image001.png@01D8390C.4871D4C0]
But later in the meeting, it became clear that the Attendees who were unmuted to ask questions had not gotten their voices captioned, only the Panelists. This was not at all what we need.
I agree, this is a completely separate issue from WebView2, that was just another example of Cisco's communication style I wanted to mention.
Thanks for any help you can give,
Ann

Hi Mary,

The two issues are not at all related. The closed captioning shows the Panelists' comments and speech, but not the Attendees' comments or speech (when we send them an unmute request). This is critical for our open access policy.

Hi Ann - I am sorry I misunderstood your post.  I have tested on cisco.webex.com and I am able to see captions when an Attendee speaks.  In this test my daughter called into the Webex as an Audio Only Participant - and I saw both captions from myself and my daughter.   I am going to test again to see if she is on the Webex App if it works the same

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 12.53.53 PM.png

Here is my second test, I see captions for both Webinar Panelist and Attendee. In this example, my daughter was on a second laptop as an Attendee using VOIP.  This was Cisco Webex 42.3.     Would you be able to contact Cisco TAC to report the issue you are seeing? By design our automated captions should pick up Attendee and Panelist audio and turn speech to text.    I do notice it is not picking up and tagging the attendee's name - it's coming in as User - so I will check with the Product Team on that.

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 1.05.27 PM.png

I've now been able to confirm that Closed Captioning works for those Attendees participating in the Q&A, thank you!!
Ann

bethany.watkins
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if there is a newsletter but there is a website: What's new in Webex

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.