cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No one can hear me when I join a meeting. Can anyone help?

BG0612
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thanks for letting me join the forum.

I am not hosting a series of meetings that I have been invited to attend. I am just joining them on my Windows 10 64 bit PC (1 year old).

When I use the Webex app to input the meeting details (the number of the meeting) and then the correct password, I get into the meeting and my face is visible. But no one can hear me at all. I can hear everyone else, but no one can hear me. I am not being muted (there is no microphone with a red line through it, so it isn't the host's fault).

I am unable to work out the source of the issue. I went into my Windows 10 settings menu and called up the Microphone settings to see if I was set up there and it seems I am. Besides, I am able to join Zoom and Skype without the same problem occurring. Presumably I would not be heard in those platforms either, if the microphone was not generally set up on my computer. All the tabs say that the microphone is on automatically or is on Yes (apps can access my mike).

Inside the meeting itself I have tried adjusting the microphone and video settings option and nothing doing there either. 

What am I doing wrong. Do I have to dial into a meeting too, using my phone? Last time, I did do that and the other attendees could hear me but it was all echoey. So that wasn't any good. I feel as though i am missing out an important stage for others to hear me. Do I just call up the app, input the meeting number and password and that's it? Or do I need to link up another device as well? Perhaps that is what I am doing wrong? 

Could anyone help. I am new to all this and really can't figure out what is wrong. I rang the tech guy this afternoon and he couldn't figure it out either, even after we went through a dummy meeting invitation process. I could hear him, he could see me too but all he heard was my voice over the phone from our phone call conversation (or no voice if I muted the phone).

Thanks

7 Replies 7

purple_team
Level 1
Level 1

Basically there might be numerous reasons why your mic isn't working with Webex.

Check some settings to see if everything is set up properly:

1. Simply make sure you don't have other apps like Skype or Zoom working in the background. The fact you aren't using them doesn't mean they aren't using your mic.

2. Go to your Windows privacy settings, choose Microphone and then make sure to allow access to your mic on your device, then the same for your apps AND classic apps. Your Webex app should be there as well so check it too in order to allow access. Sometimes you need to repeat all of this after installing Windows updates.

3. Update your Windows. I've noticed that if you don't update your Windows for a longer period of time, its functionality decreases. Sometimes mic or webcam problems may occur then. Generally, Win. updates can be a pain in...

4. Reinstall the app. Three months ago I noticed some users had a problem like yours because they upgraded the old app. Something got messy then and it was causing the mic/webcam problems. Eventually, after uninstalling the app completely and installing the newest ver. the problems disappeared.

5. Some manufacturers preinstall their own additional audio software offering different audio modes or enhancements. Check the settings there.

Possible walkaroud:

1. Try joining your meeting via browser - Edge or Chrome.

2. Remember to allow access to your mic and webcam (your browser should ask you about this while joining but if you have set up "always block" in your browser privacy settings you may need to change the set-up before you join).

SiliconRichard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like something on your computer is blocking the mic from connecting. I would suggest trying from other devices to see if audio works on those.

As a temporary workaround, I suggest using the call feature to join from a mobile phone.

Here are ways to connect to audio: https://help.webex.com/en-us/cjr7xq/Connect-to-Audio-and-Video-in-Cisco-Webex-Meetings

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@BG0612 wrote:

What am I doing wrong. Do I have to dial into a meeting too, using my phone?

Depends on the setup. 

You can either dial into the meeting or get Webex to call you.  

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

If someone in conference cant hear someone, the most likely problems are codec mismatch or problems with RTP...

Or check your microphone.

What do I do, though? There is no solution offered here.

@BG0612 

I am luckily still at Windows 8.1 but I do remember, that in Windows 10 its possible/necessary
to allow/deny applications to access devices like the webcam or the microphone... 
Just to make sure: did you check that for Webex?

kind regards
Fritz

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.