cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WebEx client freezes section of laptop screen when undocking computer.

Over the last few days, we have noticed that the Webex client will leave a frozen chunk of the screen where the app would appear if it were running in the foreground.  We usually see this when a laptop is undocked from a docking station and the screen re-adjusts the scaling factor/resolution.

The 'frozen' section of the screen floats in the foreground over the top of anything else that is opened.  For example, opening Chrome full screen will open behind the "frozen" chunk of the screen.

you can resolve this issue simply by opening the WebEx client (bring it to the foreground) and then moving or minimizing it.  Killing the WebEx client with task manager also works as does a reboot. 

Display drivers are up-to-date.

12 Replies 12

candiss.brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I had this problem and don't know how to fix it and I was not undocking it it was just fine then it froze

beedub
Level 1
Level 1

I experience the same problem.  When the laptop is docked, the lid is closed.

Changing the laptop sleep power settings fixed the issue.  I changed the lid close settings to "do nothing" on battery power, then changed the sleep time to 10 minutes while on battery in power options.  This allows the computer to stay on and not go to sleep when undocking the computer with the lid closed.  

Does the issue happen if you undock your laptop while the lid is open?

msg85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We are facing the same issue!

Is there any webex meetings case opened yet?

thanks

Yes. Similar resolution as Ivory-Towers. Updates also seemed to have resolve it.

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Happened to me once recently. There was a large black box where the app should have been. It corrected itself once I clicked the system test icon to bring the application to the foreground. Windows 10 + 39.9

I've encountered several instances of this issue in the last 30 days.

Issue
Approx 1/4 of screen shows transparent swath , Layer 0 (top layer over all other apps on desktop.)
Un-docking seems to freeze laptops, re-docking restores previous issue state.
Hardware: Dell 7480/90 models and C-docks involved, Wired or Wi-Fi
OS display scaling turned on , typical setup  Laptop @150% , Mon1 @ 100%, Mon2 @ 100%
*Observed setting scaling across all displays to 100% improves on performance and issue when docking / un-docking.

Also have 
1 Have performed Dell DCU on machines.
2 Uninstalled WebEx (via the OS' software uninstall method)

3 Run https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX000026378/Meeting-Services-Removal-Tool
4 Rebooted

5 Reinstalled current version of WebEx from Cisco site.

Current status:

Over a week now and not seeing any repeats or new reports, have monitored roll-ups of WebEx and several minor updates have rolled out.

alex.vanwert
Level 1
Level 1

Have you found an answer to this problem?  We are seeing the same thing.

We are seeing the same experience with several of our users.  A portion of the screen in the size/shape of the Webex desktop app freezes. Only resolution is to "end task" which not all users can do for themselves.  Please advise of the resolution.

JeffHeldt
Level 1
Level 1

We are seeing this issue in our enterprise as well. We've also seen this issue appears when a user connects to VPN (regardless of docked/undocked) which leads us to believe it is triggered by switching networks and not a screen resolution change. When our users undock their laptops, they automatically switch from a wired to a WiFi network. Users that have "unplugged" their docks from the wired network connection have not experienced the issue. 

So, that could be similar to our issue... when the user is docked they typically have a wired network connection available (at most of our locations) but when they undock they switch to WiFi.

Essentially the same situation.

mtabrez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The correct team of experts to help you are available by raising a case at support.webex.com. That said, once your issue is resolved, we'd love to hear if there was a fix that would work for our extended community. Come on back and let us know how you resolved this. thanks for being an active member of our Webex Community.

Regards

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.