cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 AP unjoin dissociated intermittently and random

DARRELL MILAM
Level 1
Level 1

We have several 5508 controller with 1142n access points  some access points unjointed from the controller and do not rejoin.  It is not always the same access point and it does not happen in any order we can find.  All access points may stayed joined for a couple days then one may disjoin, we can bounce the Poe port on the switch and the access point will reboot and rejoin.  When looking at the switch port it shows power and link connection to the ap but we can not ping the ap.  usually the ap led will be black or out.

What steps can we take to figure out where the problem is?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is the bug you are running into I bet:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCud97983

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What code are you running on the WLC... you have one or multiple WLC's?  All Ap's are 1142's?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

The WLC software version is 7.4.100.0

One WLC at each location

All AP are 1142n

High availability not set on ap

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What code is on your wlc. What ap model ?

Do you have primary high availability set on the aps ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The WLC software version is 7.4.100.0

One WLC at each location

All AP are 1142n

High availability not set on ap

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

while the AP is connected to the WLC, enable telnet/ssh so that you can attempt to gain access to the AP when it is in the failed state.

The other thing I would do, is when the AP is in a failed state, check CDP for the port make sure the AP is being seen there.  I'd also check ARP and the mac address-table and make sure the switch knows about the AP.

You may also want to span the port the AP is connected to once it fails, and attempt to ping and see if traffic is passing in and out and just not getting to where it is supposed to.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Very difficult to telnet into the affected ap since it is not alway the same ap and it does not happen on a regular basis.

How do I check CDP?

I believe there is an open bug with 1142's and WLC running 7.4. We don't implement v7.4 with 1142's due to the open bug. Your better off to downgrade to the latest v7.3.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Here is the bug you are running into I bet:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCud97983

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Is there a way to make sure this our problem?  When they say the ap crashes, do they mean it locks up.  If I go to an ap that has crashed will I be able to on sole into it or does it lockup completely lock up?

When looking at the switch port it shows power and link connection to the ap but we can not ping the ap.  usually the ap led will be black or out.

AP LED is not on.... AP has crashed!  Downgrade to v7.3 unless you are okay with rebooting the AP's everytime they crash.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Can I just download the 7.3 version and upgrade the WLC to back rev?

Yes... that is what we consider downgrade... you install a lower version that what is installed.  So upload the new code v7.3 and reboot the WLC.  You can use the pre-download feature if you want.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2055644

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Will give this a try at a couple locations to see if does the trick.  I will let you know how it goes in a couple days.

The funny thing is Cisco ask me to upgrade the controllers to this version not to long ago to fix another issue.

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I will go with Scott...i have seen many issues with 1142 and 7.4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card