cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1552 AP indoor use?

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Since 1550 outdoor APs have been designed to work in harsh environment and have better coverage, we consider to use 1552 APs inside a big construction workshop. Are there any concerns or issues to use 1552 AP indoor?

thanks.

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

Michael,

There should be a good justification to choose 1552 over a smaller AP. I have used 1552H indoor but my choice in the past was dictated by the needs of using the AP in Class 1 Div 2 environments. For most of the other locations it would make more sense to run a cheaper AP. Bottom line is you certainly can use it indoor - it will work fine but the deployment will be MUCH more expensive.

As for the coverage etc.. you always have to begin with the transmit output capabilities of your wireless clients. Most of your wireless clients will be matched by any indoor Cisco AP. Thus it is not really necessary to invest in more expensive models.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

Normally It is not good to have Outdoor AP in indoor.You need to take a indoor AP for your Workshop.

Its not the best but u can use in indoor.

That's like asking about the difference between indoor and outdoor APs: one screen may be brighter or one's case might be weather-resistant, but inside they both work the same way.

I did not find any documentation form Cisco about to use outdoor AP as Indoor.

Please check this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2135985

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why the doc is conflicting?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11451/index.html

• Operational continuity for mission-critical applications across wired, indoor, and outdoor networks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.4/design/guide/mesh74_preface_00.html

Mesh networking employs Cisco Aironet 1500 Series outdoor mesh access points and indoor mesh access points (Cisco Aironet 1040, 1130, 1140, 1240, 1250, 1260, 3500e, 3500i, 3600e, and 3600i series access points)

• Cisco Aironet 1550 (1552) series outdoor 802.11n mesh access points
  • Cisco Aironet 1040, 1130, 1140, 1240, 1250, 1260, 1600, 2600, 3500e, 3500i, 3600e, and 3600i series indoor mesh access points

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

Michael,

There should be a good justification to choose 1552 over a smaller AP. I have used 1552H indoor but my choice in the past was dictated by the needs of using the AP in Class 1 Div 2 environments. For most of the other locations it would make more sense to run a cheaper AP. Bottom line is you certainly can use it indoor - it will work fine but the deployment will be MUCH more expensive.

As for the coverage etc.. you always have to begin with the transmit output capabilities of your wireless clients. Most of your wireless clients will be matched by any indoor Cisco AP. Thus it is not really necessary to invest in more expensive models.

Hope this helps.

renoufi
Level 1
Level 1

Be aware that the 1552 has (undocumented) limitations on WIPS.

Better (and cheaper) option might be 3600e and Tesco NEMA rated enclosure.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card