cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1552 Mesh AP. Ethernet Port Flapping

lukedp
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue with a 1552AP that is acting as a MAP, i have a AXIS camera attached to the POE out port via a midspan (

midspan that it obtains its data from a data port and poe out port from the camera). The port comes up then appears then fails.

I tried attaching a laptop to a test ap in the lap and connects to the mesh. in this instance the ap and the device attached to the AP work.

is there any trouble shooting i can do to test the status of the AP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. Connect a laptop instead of the camera and see if the link still flaps.

2. Connect a console port to the AP and check its status messages when cameras are flapping. I was suspecting a power feeder issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there anyway you can power up the axis camera without using the midspans just to test? I recently had some issue with using the midspans to power up some AP's because the client didn't have any PoE switches. This wasn't on a mesh ap though.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

How is your AP getting its power?

Hi Scott / Vlad,

The AP obtains it's power from the cisco power cable that plug into the base.

The camera works when directly plugged into the wired network switch with the same midspan.

When plugged into the1552 mesh ap on the PoE Out port the GI port fails up and down.

1. Connect a laptop instead of the camera and see if the link still flaps.

2. Connect a console port to the AP and check its status messages when cameras are flapping. I was suspecting a power feeder issue.

Was a power draw issue, the Midspan althougth documented to reach 100m PoE does not. i found that at 10m the camera worked.

From you earlier post, it seemed like you tested it fine?

The camera works when directly plugged into the wired network switch with the same midspan.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have seen issues with long PoE (at the edge of the specifications) when system was used with bad Ethernet cables. Worth checking if its a proper outdoor rated cable with thick gauge.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, it is advisable to use laptop instead of camera . Also to connect port to AP and check the status messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card