Views
Helpful
Replies

1852i and Guest Anchor Questions

mitchell helton
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning!

First off, a quick question on the 1852i.  I noticed that when comparing the AP models, the 1850 series is not listed anymore.  Is this an error or is the 1852 on its way out? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-points/product-comparison.html

We currently have a single 2504 WLC with half a dozen lightweight APs... the rest of our APs are autonomous.  I would like to move the 2504 to the DMZ as a guest anchor and purchase a 3504 which would accommodate our current APs plus new ones to replace the existing autonomous APs.

Am I correct in thinking I do not need to buy any new licenses for the 2504 that will become an anchor?  And I only need to purchase licenses for the new 3504 to accommodate however many APs I have?

What the end set up would look like is this:  3504 WLC on the internal network with roughly 15 APs (all 1852i) connecting to it, then a 2504 in the DMZ for anchoring.  Any issues with this?

Thanks very much!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In case someone else stumbles across this, I got some clarification from Cisco via their Partner Help team:

I have checked internal resources. There are no plans to EoS neither for 1830 nor for 1850. The technical marketing engineer and the product managers have confirmed the information.

The colleagues are going to correct the website. I am sorry about the confusion.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The 1852's are being replaced, you can look on the Access Point product pages for the latest AP's. You can a use the 2504 as an anchor. Just keep in mind that others believe that you should be running on the same code, more of stability. Below is the matrix that shows the compatibility.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-201251
You only need to purchase license for the 3504 and no need for the 2504. The 2504 will only support up to 1000 clients so as long as you are not going over that, you should be good.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for the quick reply, Scott.

Do you know what the replacement for the 1852  will be?  I did not see an EoL statement anywhere.

Regarding the inevitable code mismatch between the 3504 and 2504.  There are no *known* issues - just more of a best practice thing?

Thank you!

In case someone else stumbles across this, I got some clarification from Cisco via their Partner Help team:

I have checked internal resources. There are no plans to EoS neither for 1830 nor for 1850. The technical marketing engineer and the product managers have confirmed the information.

The colleagues are going to correct the website. I am sorry about the confusion.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card