cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2504 cannot ping the gateway and cannot be seen on network

Joe Cuonze
Level 1
Level 1

This is a really strange issue with the 2504 WLC.

I have given it an IP/subnet/DFG of 10.9.10.240 255.255.255.0 10.9.10.1.

I am not able to ping anything from the controller, even tried the gateway and received no response. 

My laptop is on the 10.9.8.X network and I am not able to bring the GUI up, it's almost as if it is not routing to the network somehow.  I set this up out of the box using the instructions from the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller Deployment Guide

When I manually enter in the IP Address on my laptop of 10.9.10.241 255.255.255.0 10.9.10.1 it will allow me to bring the GUI up

I'm plugged into port 2 in a 2960S which is trunked... I've attached the switch logs

I've also attached an access point to the network and it is not finding the controller

I've also attached the logs for the 2504.

I saw an area in the logs towards the bottom for routes, would I need to create a router to allow the controller to see the gateway to get out to the network?

I've been at this for a fews days and I'm getting frustrated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, one problem I see on G1/0/2  is that it is in VLAN 1 and your WLC is VLAN 10.

So what you should do, is go into the GUI of the WLC and set the WLC to be tagged in VLAN 10.

or

You can go into the switch and "switchport trunk native VLAN 10"

Though tagging the WLC traffic will allow for QoS

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, one problem I see on G1/0/2  is that it is in VLAN 1 and your WLC is VLAN 10.

So what you should do, is go into the GUI of the WLC and set the WLC to be tagged in VLAN 10.

or

You can go into the switch and "switchport trunk native VLAN 10"

Though tagging the WLC traffic will allow for QoS

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

So on the management interface it's tagged as 0 currently, is this where I should tag it as 10?  I thought that would create issues if I changed that VLAN tag

Yes Stephen is correct

And yes you can set that value to 10

It's always best to tagg all the interfaces. So early Cisco WLC config guides shared WLC management config examples and recommendations to make the interface native. Native means untagged. In other words 0 on the management interface would mean on the switch you would be required to use the native statement. 

In your case you want to mark the WLC management interface. Sonyiubout the vlan number on the WLC. And you need to make sure that vlan is supported on the switch uplink .. 

HTH

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Can you 

Can you please sent the commad prompt for changing vlan Id now my vlan id 1.i cant ping my controller

Joe Cuonze
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you!

I can access the controller without an issue and my clients can associate to the AP's and pull an IP from the DHCP server, I'm jut not sending any packets now so it appears I have a routing issue possibly on the gateway as I'm not able to ping it, i'll start a new thread for that one...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: