cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2800 WAPs not reporting correct Serial Number

dark235
Level 1
Level 1

We use a 5508 WLC to manage our WAPs. We just started rolling out 2800 series APs after using 2600s and 2700s for years.
In the past, the 2600s and 2700s would always relay the Chassis Serial Number back on a Show Inventory (or using the Inventory view in the WLC). Now they are returning the PCB serial number instead. Since the outside of every single device has two stickers with the chassis serial number, having the WLC return essentially the wrong serial number is not helpful.

Does anyone know how I can get the CHASSIS Serial Number off the 2800s without having to manually SSH into each device?

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if you do show ap inventory all then you will get the S/N of all APs.

example:

(WLC) >show ap inventory all

Inventory for AP03

NAME: "AP2800" , DESCR: "Cisco Aironet 2800 Series (IEEE 802.11ac) Access Point"
PID: AIR-AP2802I-E-K9, VID: V02, SN: FDW2991B570

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

While I appreciate your response, I clearly know how to get it to return the Serial Number. The problem is that it is returning the wrong Serial, the PCB serial and not the Chassis serial, which is different than both the 2600 and 2700 versions. This appears to be a big but I'd like for someone else to verify they are seeing conflicting data.

OK Got your point.

try this method:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-security-and-network/dump-a-list-of-lwapp-s-including-serial-s/td-p/2137727

If still showing the wrong one then either you need to upgrade the sofwtare on WLC or contact cisco TAC.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@dark235 wrote:

Now they are returning the PCB serial number instead. 

Wait a second ... We've seen this before. This is a very, very old Bug in early 8.2.X.X.
What firmware is the controller running on?

That's exactly the rev I'm running - 8.2.111.0

I'll see about upgrading the firmware and see if it fixes the issue.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card