Views
Helpful
Replies

3504 Anchor HA or not

stefan.tabell
Level 1
Level 1

Dear colleagues and experts,

I'm building a setup where we have two 3504 controllers that will work as anchor for guest traffic. After reading a bit on the forum I understand that it's better to run each anchor independent as a N+1 setup where the foreign controller will round-robin traffic to both anchors.

What would happen if we actually did run HA on the anchors. If the active anchor does fail, would this mean that the mobility is completely lost or would the standby resume the role?

Have a great day!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
SSO is really meant for the controllers to manage access points and clients not anchored traffic. Will it work, sure, but the SSO guide from what I recall doesn’t support anchored state full. If SSO fails, bug or just goes down, you anchoring would drop, meaning mobility between foreign and anchor would also drop. Stick with N+1.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
SSO is really meant for the controllers to manage access points and clients not anchored traffic. Will it work, sure, but the SSO guide from what I recall doesn’t support anchored state full. If SSO fails, bug or just goes down, you anchoring would drop, meaning mobility between foreign and anchor would also drop. Stick with N+1.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Wes Schochet
Level 3
Level 3

I have multiple stand alone controllers in the DMZ.  I have been very happy with this set-up.  They load balance nicely and I can pull one out easily for maintenance or testing.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card