cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3802i access point stuck "waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway"

Justin Kistler
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 3802 WAPs getting stuck spamming "waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway" over console. LED is flashing red, green, pause. I am trying to install these 3802s in an existing wireless environment. We use DHCP option 43.

Now the really odd part is that out of a batch of 100+ 3802s, it seems about half of them have this problem. All are new from the vendor. Some of them come right up, get an IP, go into CAPWAP discovery, etc... The other half gets stuck at this point, where it doesn't get an IP, any gateway info, etc. To clarify, on the same switchport, some of them work, some of them don't. This switchport works fine with every 3702 and 3602 I have put on it.

On the switch, the AP shows in the mac address table but not in the arp table. Interface shows up/up.

I cannot see any difference between the WAPs that work and those that don't. Same model number, same IOS code. I tried factory reset by holding mode button during boot for 20+ seconds. Still nothing. I am running out of ideas here. I am hoping some of you can get me pointed in the right direction. I have attached the boot log as well as a few additional commands in a text file.

Thank you much all.

15 Replies 15

This could be a bug

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva34879/

I would go with 8.2.160.0 software version, if current version is different to that.

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Rashika,

Thanks for the response. I did see this bug report earlier but noticed that it was for IOS version

8.2.111.25 but my APs have 8.2.141.0.

Also, why would some of the 3802's exhibit this behavior and others wouldn't if they are running the same code of IOS?

8.2.111.25 but my APs have 8.2.141.0.

Do not 100% rely on those info available in bug descriptions. It does not clearly stated fixed in 8.2.141.0 , except "no one reported this issue on the latest image of 8.2 throttle"

There are lots of issues with 2800/3800 in all code releases. With 8.2, it is highly recommend to go for 8.2.160.0 as that got most bug fixes specific to 2800/3800 AP model.

Also, why would some of the 3802's exhibit this behavior and others wouldn't if they are running the same code of IOS?

I would check the serial number of affected one and working one & see they came from different batches

HTH

Rasika

Did you manage to resolve this is issue by upgradig the software? I have the same problem on a 3802I but the IOS code is 8.3.102.0.

How can you upgrade a 3802 in this state if it's not getting an IP and connected to a WLC?

GREG MARTIEN
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2802i and just upgraded my test controller to 8.2.161 and having the same issue on about 8 Ap's out of 45 total at one of my sites.

The soulution we found for our issue with the 2802i on this message waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway fix just 2 min ago. Our 4500 is the DHCP server at this site just for the AP's, we had to add a helper addres to the Vlan which the AP's are in and all 8 came back up.

Tommy Vindvik
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem.

Ww are in the progress of expanding our WiFi coverage with around 300 AP's. 

Roughly 50% of 3802AP's seems  to have a problem with DHCP even running on the same version. These are the two images I have tested on:

Primary Boot Image : 8.5.120.0
Backup Boot Image : 8.2.151.0

8.5 reports "Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration", and 8.2 "waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway"

Regards, Tommy V

Hi,

I too have the same problem.

I am running on code 8.3.133.0  and seeing the same error on few of the access point model AP3802i

"waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway"

-- Binish

Hi Binish,

I have responded to other thread given below, which I believe same issue.  Have a look & see.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/2820i-ap-5508-wlcs-dhcp-relay-dhcp-not-working/m-p/3353809#M83345

HTH

Rasika

good morning Cisco experts i have a problem with AIR-AP1832I-EK9 with the same problem. error "waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway". assist as am new to this environment. please assist

Brastax001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys... I have experienced the similar issue with the 3800 series APs where few get an IP address and some don't. What I have done to resolve this is to remove the DHCP scope on my core switch and saved the settings. I then added the same config config for the AP DCHP pool. This fixed my issue. I had about 4 sites that experienced this issue and I only resolved them by doing that.

Just to add, the new 3800 series APs comes up as unknown when you connect them for the first time. Nothing is wrong there you just need to point the new APs to the controller (Configure AP vlan on the core) then configure the switchport with a Native vlan so the AP can download the firmware from the WLAN controller...

Can you please explain what this means: "I then added the same config config for the AP DCHP pool."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card