Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Switch wireless controller

kashifglobal12
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community,

I need my 3850 switch works as a Wireless Controller but i am facing some problems. I have 2 3850 switches which are deployed on different location on a same office. I have 5 access points and need integrate with the wireless controller 3850. The problem is 3 access points are connected to first 3850 and other 2 access points are connected to second 3850 and there is a limition in 3850 wirless controller is that all the access points must be connected to one switch which also acts as a controller. 

Is there some way to manage all access points through one controller deployed in distributed environment?

3 Replies 3

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can have two switches running as AP controllers, you can then configure mobility between the two. You will need one device to be a mobility controller and the other configuring as a mobility agent.

What code version are you running? In newer 3850 code converged wireless access is not supported.

Dear Mikey,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have access to switch right now but can
you tell me which IOS version is for converge deployment. Another thing is
that you said two switches runs as a mobility controller and configure
mobility between them but how the controller able to transform as a
mobility agent?

Hi, the last release of code is detailed in the below document, I believe it is 16.3.3

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-393627

Also regarding the MC/MA and switch peer groups you will have to do some reading as there is quite a bit to take in:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-1/converged_access_deployement_guide/m_conAccess_deploy_guide.html

I would suggest that from personal experience, unless you absolutely have no other option I would avoid converged access.

We had a few customers using it and it is not the easiest thing to support and is also quite buggy.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: