Views
Helpful
Replies

5 GHz deployment

amh4y0001
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am planning to deploy 2 APs in a small room both wilt 5 GHz only. The room is NOT that large that requires 2 APs but reason is I will use ISP-A for AP1 and ISP-B for AP2.

So question is what would be best practice for this type of deployment. Both APs should continue to service clients without interfering each other. I am thinking to divide the 24 non-overlapping channels between these 2 APs, or someone has a better suggestion / best practice to follow.

4 Replies 4

I am thinking to divide the 24 non-overlapping channels between these 2 APs, or someone has a better suggestion / best practice to follow.

What AP model you think of using here ? which country is it ?

Is there any nearby APs out side this room ?

You cannot divide whole 5GHz spectrum like that & assign them to AP. What you can do is select two non-overlapping channel & assign it to individual AP. Depend on AP capability, you can increase channel width from 20MHz to 40MHz or 80MHz (as long as it is isolated area and no other WiFi in surrounding area).

As example if you using 20MHz  then you can use CH36, CH40 which are two non-overlapping. If it is 40MHz, then it could be CH36+40 & CH44+48.

WiFi-5GHz-Spectrum.JPG

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika and thanks for reply.

I am located in EU and AP I have is Cisco AirCap 37021-E-K9 (will be running in autonomous mode).

There are several other APs and wireless equipment (like printers and scanners) around this room but they are all on 2.4 GHz and thats why I will be using only 5G and most likely I will be considering channel width 80.

Purpose to have 2 APs and two ISPs is to provide "always" Internet access and fast response time when devices / clients connect.

Anyone can share experience / best practice?

@amh4y0001

Hi there, as Rasika tell, you can not divide the whole spectrum, the important questions here is what kind of app will be running in this place. If you will have a lot of people the best practice is going with 20 MHz width channel, in that way your AP will response in a bettet way that 80 MHz. All this for airtime utilization. by oother hand if you will have few user and what to get high throughput then you can go for 80.

Please check this page is a guide for general best RF Desing and this for general best practice guide.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card