cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5 GHz on power level 1 - what could go wrong

mal jackson
Level 1
Level 1
We have a situation where our LAP have been installed so closely, that the "802.11a > RRM > Tx Power Control(TPC)" has set the power level to 7. Consequently there are rooms that cannot see a 5 GHz signal. Why can't I just up the power of all 40-odd LAP 5 GHz interfaces to 1. Thank you for any help here. The students won't thank you for it, but they will thank me. Regards, Mal.
5 Replies 5

Hi ,

The RRM's decision is based on the best power level.

However. Sometime we need to tweak manually.

During the "peak-client' time frame, get me the output "show run-config, show msglog and show traplog" from the WLC.

And mention the AP names near which 5 GHz radio is no seen.

Based on that, we can comment.

Thanks

Victor

Regards Victor V *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as *****Answered"*****

Thank you for your help. When doing a show run-config I have to copy then paste then more, then copy then paste hundreds of time. Is there an easy way to show run-config without having to copy/past tiny fragments of it? Mal.

Hi Mal,

1) Log the SSH session to a text file.

2) Execute "Config paging disable"

3) Execute the commads

a) show run-config

b) show msglog

c) show traplog

4) Attach the text file to this thread.

Thanks

Victor

Regards Victor V *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as *****Answered"*****

I don't think that will work, as there are over 600 AP on that controller, and the text file weighs in at 23G. Is there a guide on setting the power levels? I guess it's a case of looking at nearby AP and using some sort of formula to determine power level. Mal.

If you get all the APs on power level 1, then we may run into the following problems.

a) it will create huge coverage overlap.

b) it will inturn trigger frequent/un-necessary client roaming.

c) Adjacent Channel interference.

So based on the outputs, we can decide on the power tweak.

Thanks

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card