Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

801.11AX high density deployment not working

Folks,

We have deployed the latest Cisco APs and controller in an office with high density deployment. What we are seeing that the power level of all the APs is set to 8. 

2.4 Ghz band seems to work fine but the 5Ghz band is very slow (Less than 2Mpbs upload/download) performance in some areas.

I have attached the site survey showing the performance of 5 Ghz band. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Tarun

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I don’t know how this was surveyed, seems like you were doing an active survey? How is the performance when you are onsite testing? I think that is the key and what you need to check first, then look to see if the survey was done right.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The survey was done correctly by a professional company. My question is what needs to be done at the controller level to inform that this is a high density deployment and what tuning needs to be done to RRM. 5 Ghz performance is terrible .

The professional survey team should of provided the recommended settings as they did the survey with a specific setting.
-Scott

What is the Channel Utilization (CU) like during business hours?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What you should also mention is what equipment and code version are you using. Show us where all your ap's are located and maybe screen shot your ap power levels on both 2.4ghx and 5ghz. Also show us how your wlan your are testing on is configured. Have you tried to test with an open SSID? When you test, you should be using iperf to a wired device, post the iperf result when you are connected at 2.4ghz and then on 5ghz.
-Scott

I have included the site survey report that was taken when the problem was occuring. 2.4 Ghz is perfectly fine, 5 Ghz is super slow almost to a point that it is unusable. Cisco 3802 APs . Standard office space on one of the floors of a building.

The power level of 5Ghz radios is 8(Minimum). Not sure why, any ideas?

Would surely rate the post.

I get an error when clicking on the attachment link.
What have you tried to do while onsite testing? Have you tried to shut all 5ghz down except for one ap to do some baseline? Have you reviewed all areas and noticed slowness in all areas? What does Iperf test show?
-Scott

Which wireless NIC adapter are you using for the tests?

There are well known performance issues with some vendor chipset like Intel ones with drivers below version 21.60 that are fixed in later releases (attached release notes fomr vendor covering the fix of that issue).

Please consider using modern WNICs with up-to-date drivers to perform the testing.

In addition to that, how much channel utilization is there during the tests? Have you checked if there is any source of interference around (Wi-Fi or non-Wi-Fi)?

And don't worry about APs using 8dBm Tx power as this is enough to get maximum MCS values using 802.11ac almost 10 meters apart from the AP.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: