Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11ax aps deployment

Meuserid1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

we are currently deploying new 802.11ax aps specifically 9120 series aps. every writing about this new technology mentioned a lot of performance enchancements, new features etc.Im still reading documents related to 802.11ax but  i have the following main questions in mind.

1. In the WLC, what configurations are needed to achieve these new features offered by 802.11ax?

2. what kind of test cases can be done to verify that the customer is benefitting from 802.11ax features?

thanks in advance. 

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Meuserid1979 wrote:

In the WLC, what configurations are needed to achieve these new features offered by 802.11ax?

Same settings as other AP.  

@Meuserid1979 wrote:

what kind of test cases can be done to verify that the customer is benefitting from 802.11ax features?

What clients do you have that can actually (and truely) support 802.11ax?  Currently, there is none.

Are you using 9800 WLC or AireOS based WLC ? what versions are you running on your controller?

Specific to your questions

1. I would check the software version you running and the relevant configuration guide. As Leo said, most of ax basic features enabled by default (I would check with config guides to confirm)

2. Below show the key enhancements in WiFi6. OFDMA is the main factor to enhance WiFi efficiency, to achieve that you need to have 30-40% of your clients support WiFi6. So it will take time (until most clients start supporting WiFi6) to get full benefits of WiFi6.

Here is a good presentation talk about these features and what benefits it brings. Pls watch it

BRKEWN 3010- Cisco Catalyst RF Innovation (WiFi6 & Beyond)

WiFi6-Enhancement.PNG

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As the others already have stated, plus most new features were added in latest code 8.10.x or 17.2.x. So first of all, I would upgrade to the latest code and then, if you aren't far in the setup, reset to factory default.

hi all,

thanks for the reply. we are using wlc 5520 with 8.10.112 firmware version. In general, there is none much difference regarding the configuration options comparing the previous version and this new version. except those data rates added for 802.11ax which are already ticked by default. so i guess these are the new ones with regards to 802.11ax  

Sounds good. I recommend upgrading to 8.10.121.0, it fixes various bugs with the new 11ax models.

Other 802.11ax features are OFDMA, BSS Coloring and more. Some of those options are currently only available through CLI (like BSS Coloring):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn810mr2.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/managing_aps.html#bss_coloring

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: